ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Element 3D 2.2.2 not respecting Z position

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Zubiate
Element 3D 2.2.2 not respecting Z position
on Apr 15, 2019 at 9:29:50 am

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, english is not my first language, thank you!

I'm doing a music lyric video where a 3D TEXT is following a circle shaped path like in the image below.

So what I'm trying to is that I'm placing an Element particle in the middle of the circle just like the red solid below.

It works, right? Everything is good, the red solid is right at the middle of the circle path, just behind the front text and in front of the back text.

But when I place the Element layer at the same Z position as the red solid which is 76.0, the text overlaps the particle.

The same happens if I move the Element layer above the text layer, the difference is that the particle overlaps the text.

If I view the scene from above, the particle is just in the middle of the circle shaped path, but is ignoring the Z position.

I'm pretty new to Element 3D, and After Effects 2.5D space, so I'm really breaking my head to understand why is this happening.
Right now my temporal fix is to toggle the Element Layer as a 3D layer, but that's not convenient and I will encounter problems in the future.

Can someone care to explain what's going? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Element 3D 2.2.2 not respecting Z position
on Apr 15, 2019 at 5:02:19 pm

Element is an effect on a layer. It is not positioned in the After Effects 3d space at all. It recognizes the camera, but it can't interact with other layers. The solution is to put that text on a cylinder inside Element.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Alex Zubiate
on Apr 15, 2019 at 7:28:58 pm

All right, makes sense, pity, can I wrap a cilinder with the text, or what did you mean with using a cilinder? Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 15, 2019 at 7:58:41 pm

He meant for you to add a texture to the cylinder that consists of a composition with just your text.

It will be required that you tweak the opacity alpha threshold in the material's options for the material you'll add to the cylinder. Otherwise you'll get alpha as black.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Alex Zubiate
on Apr 15, 2019 at 8:22:09 pm

Awesome, thank you very much, I was breaking my head again with that, I sucessfully wrapped the text on the cylinder but I didn't know about the threshold opacity option, very useful, although I'm noticing aliasing on the text, and therefore, I get these wiggly borders, I tried to fix this by increasing the size of the composition with the text, but it's not making a difference.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 15, 2019 at 8:42:00 pm

The threshold can easy that up a bit. But that's an inherent thing with E3D. Keep in mind that changing your text comp size may mean nothing if your texture size limit is already maxed up inside Element. (Max is 8k, not the default setting)

And you maybe viewing the textures compressed. Its the default setting inside the viewer. It may or may not resemble what you'll get after you exit the options view.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 15, 2019 at 8:55:05 pm

Additionally you can have another instance of element with just the cylinder to be used as a luma matte for the text you had before.

Having a one sided full white cylinder used as a luma matte would allow you to use a copy of AE's text on top of whatever you'll have sandwiched in between.

It would be easy to setup if what you posted is the only goal you're after. If not it may be a hindrance in your project.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Alex Zubiate
on Apr 16, 2019 at 4:49:56 am

Thank you very much for all your help, this is an awesome community, I'm gonna start visiting this website more and more, I think the Element setup works perfectly with what I had in my mind, that way I can play with the settings and figure out what each option does.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]