ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Tile Phase Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Roth
Motion Tile Phase Question
on Feb 5, 2019 at 4:14:14 pm

I'm creating a motion background, and I have a comp with a single logo in it. I've applied Motion Tile said comp multiply the logo into columns. By turning the phase angle control I can get every other column to scroll past, but I'd like the currently stationary columns to scroll in the opposite direction.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Motion Tile Phase Question
on Feb 5, 2019 at 8:47:03 pm

Motion tiles options are pretty limited. i would do it another way

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Feb 6, 2019 at 12:41:28 am

Hi, you could try precomposing two versions (1 going up, 1 going down). Mask out and subtract the still columns in your main comp, and then offset the X position of the one that needs the fewer rows(?).

Return to posts index

Jacob Roth
on Feb 6, 2019 at 2:28:39 pm

Thanks everybody.

What I ended up doing was creating one column through the motion tile width setting, then duplicating that comp as many times as I needed. Then I made a control layer for odds, one for evens, and then phase got time*x or -x depending on odd or even. It worked, but was a pretty heavy render.

Return to posts index

Dave Faulkner
on Jul 4, 2020 at 12:41:56 pm

Hi
I had the same issue and came up with this solution in AFX v17.1.1 on a mac.

In the motion tiler effect increase the 'output height' which makes the tiles go beyond the edge of your comp (even though you can't see them). I increased the output height by 400+ for my project.

You can now animate the position of your whole comp to go the opposite way of the motion tiler phase movement e.g. if the motion tiler 'phase' is making every other column move downwards you just animate the whole comp's position to go up on the Y axis.

You could increase the motion tiler 'Output Width' and then animate the whole comps position on X axis if you wanted to do similar but with horizontal rows.

I hope this helps. (Explaining stuff like this in words is tricky).
Cheers
Dave

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on Jul 4, 2020 at 4:20:41 pm

Why not simply animate the Tile Center Up, and the Phase double as fast down ?

Return to posts index

Chaz Chester
on Jul 4, 2020 at 4:52:12 pm

Instead of applying Motion Tile to the pre-comp, apply it to an adjustment layer.
Instead of using the Phase, animate the Tile Center's Y-value.
Then, create a pre-comp of vertical, alternating black and white bars to use as a luma matte for the adjustment layer. This'll make it so the Motion Tile effect is only applied where the white bars are, so you'd want them over every other column.
Duplicate the bars and adjustment layer, reverse the Tile Center animation, and change the luma matte to a luma inverted matte so it uses the black bars instead.
For the Tile Center animations, I would make sure the first and last keyframes look the same, and then apply the expression loopOut(); so it continuously loops.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]