how to create a 3d text displayed through a 3d path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nuno Monteiro
how to create a 3d text displayed through a 3d path
on Jan 21, 2019 at 12:41:35 pm
Last Edited By Nuno Monteiro on Jan 21, 2019 at 12:43:47 pm

Hi there, everyone.

I'm trying to do something that might be a bit advanced for my after effects and 3d modeling knowledge. I have worked with simple 3d stuff and video copilot plugin in after effects before but I'm not figuring out a way to do this.

I want to make a 3d text that is positioned onto a 3d path. So first I need to be able to do the 3d path. I wanted a path for each line on a basketball. Then make the 3d text stand each path. Not sute if I'm being explicit enough about the idea here.

Do anyone have ideas how to accomplish this? I am open to try different softwares if needed to achieve it.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: how to create a 3d text displayed through a 3d path
on Jan 21, 2019 at 1:06:07 pm

That is next to impossible to do in After Effects, plugins included. There are really no 3D paths in AE, except for things moving in 3D space through time.

You need to model the text along path in a 3D modeling software and then bring into After Effects via Cinema 4D lite or Element 3D to render them. Even then, it is almost easier to do the whole thing in a 3D program including rendering, unless you have AE effects that you want to integrate into it which involve a camera move.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Nuno Monteiro
on Feb 8, 2019 at 6:07:08 pm

Thanks Kalleheikki. I was almost sure it would be pretty impossible to do so.

I'm much more comfortable in After Effects than any 3d modeling software, that's why I wanted to know if there was a way. Anyway, I wanted to turn the lines of a basketball into a 3d path. Could you break it down how I could achieve that or share some tutorials that could lead me into getting it done? I know I will be able to model the text through that 3d path then, but achieving the 3d path is actually my biggest difficulty.

Thanks for your reply, have a great day!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Feb 10, 2019 at 7:16:24 am

The easiest approach to 3D from within After Effects is Element 3D. You can generate 3D extruded letters in it and integrate them with footage or other 3D models. I'd say it will be much simpler to use a 3D model of a basketball and align the letters to it. Learning Element 3D is about 50 times easier than learning a full 3D program. It is still pretty useless for me to try to explain how to do this before you know the basic of how to use it.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 10, 2019 at 9:40:26 pm

He's right that Element is easier than learning a real 3d app. That said, remember that you do have a full 3d app included in your CC membership (and I don't mean Adobe Dimension...). Cinema 4D Lite is included with After Effects! This tutorial series walks you through getting to work with it in the easiest way I know of: https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/cinema_4d_lite_reference/cinema_4d_...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]