ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating a map using scale and position

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
alex dinnin
Animating a map using scale and position
on Jan 19, 2019 at 3:47:12 am

I wonder if I can pick your brains ?

I've been animating maps in after effects for more years than I would care to say. I even have a maps showreel..

I was just wondering if anybody had any clever techniques they would share.

This is the task.

.AI Map file pre-comped with Continuously Rasterize turned on brought into an HD 1920 x 1080 comp.

I need to fly from London to Sydney. so starting fairly close up.. then zooming out to see the route following a path mapping its way across the map then zooming into Sydney.

I've done this using various methods.. scaling and moving the map itself runs into ease in and out problems.. adding a null helps.. but is still very fiddly.

adding an expression to tie the position to the anchor the animating the anchor point works well.. that way you can keep the centre in the same place all the time.

Using a camera and making the pre-comp 3d works well.. but when it is a heavy illustrator file that can be really slow.

The real problem is getting a nice smooth animation that zooms out and travels without any wobbles.

Has anyone got a foolpoof way that they use? anyone have any other suggestions??

Thanks for your time

Alex

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Animating a map using scale and position
on Jan 20, 2019 at 7:55:45 am

While I haven't used it myself, Video Copilot Sure Target might be worth checking out.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Jan 23, 2019 at 3:19:24 pm

I make a lot of maps too, I generally do the moves with a null controlling a large map precomp.

I've used malty camera rig too which helps animating cameras a lot. I think it was pretty cheap so you might want to check it out.

Return to posts index

alex dinnin
on Jan 24, 2019 at 8:24:54 am

I really run into problems when using a parented null. As I need sperate anchors for position and scale.

However, the talk of camera rigs has given me an idea.

What if you parent the pre comp to a null and use this for scale and then parent that null to another null you use for position.

I'll look into this and keep you posted

Cheers

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]