ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best way to reuse an already rigged character for multiple scenes? (import more than just a reference to a composition)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Shipman
Best way to reuse an already rigged character for multiple scenes? (import more than just a reference to a composition)
on Jan 11, 2019 at 7:21:09 am

So I have a character all rigged and ready to go, but before I start animating, I want to figure out a way to set him aside so I can use him for multiple scenes without having to go through the rigging process each time.

The only way I can think of doing this is by importing the current AE scene to a new project, and then manually duplicating my character composition as well as my many nested compositions. This becomes entirely too complicated. For example, I have composition "arm" as well as controllers for each puppet pin on arm. I cannot easily duplicate "arm" without replacing the controllers, basically re-rigging.

So what I'm really looking to do is to import not just a REFERENCE to the composition, but the entire composition itself to each new comp/project I create, independent of the original.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
Re: Best way to reuse an already rigged character for multiple scenes? (import more than just a reference to a composition)
on Jan 11, 2019 at 2:22:40 pm

Create a trimmed down AE project that is just the rigged character w/ subcomps and import that?

Return to posts index

Max Haller
Re: Best way to reuse an already rigged character for multiple scenes? (import more than just a reference to a composition)
on Jan 23, 2019 at 4:42:37 pm

I would think selecting the character comp, save a copy of the project and then go to file> Dependencies> reduce comp. Then youll have all your nested comps too.

or try a script called True Comp Duplicator. I've never used it on a rigged character comp but it's a great time saver when you need to duplicate comps that have a lot of nested elements. It might mess up the expressions on occassion but it generally works really well.

But using a reduced copy of the project it probably the best solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]