ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animate many objects at once, by animating a single "guide path"?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Gorton
Animate many objects at once, by animating a single "guide path"?
on Dec 7, 2018 at 12:38:53 pm

Hi, I'm trying to find a way to animate many objects at once, by animating a single "guide path", so that I don't have to animate each object, since It will take time and will not look organic.

I thought that all I need to do is to link all objects to a parent path layer, and then animate the path layer's path property, but it doesn't work this way. Google didn't help either.

Below you can see a screenshot from Illustrator that explains what I'm trying to do in AE.

Thanks in advance,
Roman

Return to posts index

Max Haller
Re: Animate many objects at once, by animating a single "guide path"?
on Dec 7, 2018 at 3:28:27 pm

I think you can copy and paste the path data into the position key frames if i remember right. Heres a quick tutorial on youtube that might be what you need:

Return to posts index

Roman Gorton
on Dec 7, 2018 at 4:22:43 pm

Thanks Max, but it is not what I'm looking for. Using your suggested technique I'm only able to copy path data and paste it on object's position property - this will place my object at the beginnig of original path and will create keyframes that will animate object to the other side of the path.
I don't want to animate objects sliding along the path. I want to animate a path layer's path shape, so that objects (10, 30 or 100 or them) linked to this path layer, would mimic (imitate) what path does, based on the distance between the path and objects.

I hope that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Dec 7, 2018 at 7:03:57 pm

Go to Window -> Create Nulls from Path.

Select your path and click on trace path. This will create a null with an expression thats linking it to a % of that path's position. Duplicate this null as many time you have objects, set their % on the path to your liking and link your objects to these nulls.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Roman Gorton
on Dec 7, 2018 at 8:43:09 pm

Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Roman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]