ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scaling a layer so it does not speed up as it shrinks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Linthicum
Scaling a layer so it does not speed up as it shrinks
on Nov 9, 2018 at 4:42:49 am

Hi AE group,
Raking my head and can't seem to find a solution to what should be a simple animation.
I am trying to scale a round shape so it gets smaller smoothly follow it by a second shane to create a loop, The problem is that the first shape changes size at a different rate than the second, as the first gets smaller it separates from the second, I need them to stay attached to each other and scale down at a equal rate and loop the effect to continue infinitely.
I have tried easing the keyframes but this is not working an wondering if there is any automatic way to do this in AE?
This is not a shape layer it is a detailed round pattern in PNG format.

Thank You,
Mark

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Scaling a layer so it does not speed up as it shrinks
on Nov 9, 2018 at 3:11:09 pm
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on Nov 9, 2018 at 3:14:38 pm

Such scaling is inversely exponential, and it never really reaches zero, just gets closer to it. You are effectively pushing the circle back in perspective. If you don't want to get into mathematics, I believe the following would work:

Make a duplicate comp but make the round shape-containing layer 3D. Animate it to recede to the distance along the z axis at an even speed. Render this out.

Use that render as a "template" to create the 2D scaling beginning and ending keyframes for your 2D layer and adjust the scale in the curve editor until the 2D scale matches the 3D motion.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Mark Linthicum
Re: Scaling a layer so it does not speed up as it shrinks
on Nov 9, 2018 at 9:24:28 pm

Thank you Kalleheikki Kannisto

That was a big help!

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved