ProRes 4444 with burned-in Redlogfilm gamma

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henry Gretzinger
ProRes 4444 with burned-in Redlogfilm gamma
on Nov 7, 2018 at 5:37:26 pm

Hi all-

I'm having a unique issue wherein:

1. I'm forced to dynamic link clips from PP into AE due to a mask feathering limit of 1000
2. Those clips are dailies clips from client that were processed in Redcine-X and had redlogfilm baked into them
3. AE interprets them as REC 709
4. PP interprets them properly as RLF
5. In PP, they have LUTs applied to transform from RLF to REC, but in AE this effectively results in "double-processing" and there's an obvious color shift.

So my question is: does a redlogfilm ICC profile exist so that I can force AE to properly interpret the working space as redlogfilm instead of REC 709?

Cheers,
Henry

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
Re: ProRes 4444 with burned-in Redlogfilm gamma
on Nov 8, 2018 at 12:03:05 am

I suggest using OpenColorIO:

http://opencolorio.org/index.html

I'm not aware of an RedLogFilm icc profile. And to be honest, I am increasingly unhappy with using ICC based color management for high dynamic range content. ICC color management was originally conceived as a way to get a printer (CMYK) to output what you see on a display (RGB) — and for that task it works pretty well. The needs of film/TV are quite different though, and ICC based CMM is often less than ideal and can create unexpected results.

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
https://www.GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Henry Gretzinger
Re: ProRes 4444 with burned-in Redlogfilm gamma
on Nov 8, 2018 at 2:58:26 pm

Hi Andrew-

I figured this out on my own, no Working Space necessary (literally, "None"). I'm not sure what was happening before (maybe caching or something) but when I had it set to none, the clips still seemed to be interpreted in REC. I ended up trashing all of my prefs, disk cache, etc and starting a new project. Boom. "None" worked as advertised.

Cheers,
Henry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]