ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Point with trailing path question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Peters
Point with trailing path question
on Nov 6, 2018 at 4:04:21 pm

Hi everyone! I wondered if anyone could provide some general tips/pointers. I am making a scene that shows the earth as a globe, and I want to create some bright points that move at an arch from one city/location on the globe to another. Similar to the still found in the image here (https://goo.gl/YJTEJA) only difference being that I want to animate it as described above. I'm not asking for an overall how-to here, but just maybe some ideas on how to accomplish this? It's new territory for me.

I do understand that I could make a path with the pen tool and do an animation that follows the path and traces the line, but I am not sure the pen tool is the best way to accomplish this. I don't think I could make clean enough looking arcs with it, but I could be wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Point with trailing path question
on Nov 6, 2018 at 6:16:43 pm

Let's assume you'll be rotating this globe when you animate this line go from, say, Los Angeles to London.

If that's what you have in mind, you'll want to use a 3D application and not AE. It isn't up to the task.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Peters
on Nov 7, 2018 at 2:43:58 pm

Ah, makes sense. On the plus side I work with a few 3D modelers in my group here, so that will work out nicely. Thanks Dave

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Nov 7, 2018 at 3:30:02 pm

Then there's this. If I recall correctly, it uses Particular for the lines.

https://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-a-world-traveler-animation-to-sho...

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]