ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

generating depth map for extruded shapes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Doctor
generating depth map for extruded shapes
on Oct 10, 2018 at 4:14:18 pm

Hi Everyone

I've extruded some shapes in AE and i'm trying to create a depth-map for it. I want to use it for a fake depth-off-field and a similar map for displacement.

Now I've tried turning every shape to a white object and use a point light at the position of the camera, so i could use the light-falloff to create the depth-map. This also means that if the light-falloff is turned off everything should be 100% white, which isn´t happening. The material-options are Lambertian based reflectance, so different lighting angles weaken the reflection when facing away from the camera.

Any one, got any tricks?

Thank you, Mark

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: generating depth map for extruded shapes
on Oct 12, 2018 at 3:57:09 pm

The upcoming version of After Effects will let you access depth information from native stuff. As long as you extruded it with the Cinema 4D renderer (and not ye olde Ray-Traced renderer), you should be able to get a depth matte out of it. See the blog post announcement for more info (including a video demonstrating it): https://theblog.adobe.com/design-with-more-control-and-performance-improvem...

In the past few years, new versions of AE have been released during IBC or Adobe MAX. IBC has come and gone last month without a new version (but with some nice demo videos if you feel like checking Adobe's YouTube).
Adobe MAX starts on Monday, so, the odds are good the new version will be here real, real soon. We'll know in a few days!

Now, I'm not saying you should immediately dive into a brand new major version for your full workflow, but you can install it alongside your existing version and try out this new feature. ☺

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]