ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animation "distorted" when used in a larger comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan North
Animation "distorted" when used in a larger comp
on Oct 10, 2018 at 8:58:25 am

Hello After Effects people

I'm having such a blast with After Effects, however one thing I can't seem to solve is when I, for example, have a comp that is 70 wide and 1080 high and have a diamond shape "spiraling" from top to down and then use that comp in a 1980 x 1080 comp it gets all distorted and skewed.
I want to have lots of spiraling diamonds in the larger comp.

Any direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Dan

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Animation "distorted" when used in a larger comp
on Oct 10, 2018 at 3:48:20 pm

Can you post some screenshots that show what you're experiencing? Please show the entire After Effects UI, revealing any properties in the timeline that you've changed.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dan North
on Oct 10, 2018 at 4:10:05 pm

I'm having a blast with After Effects, but this seems to trouble my mind.
Not sure what I might have done - I thought at some point changing perspective to front would fix it...but when using in larger comp and spreading it around as seen in the second pic, the diamond looks very skewed

Hope it makes sense ☺

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Oct 10, 2018 at 5:34:30 pm

Hey Dan

You've probably checked this already but it looks like they could be rotated in 3D? I noticed they were 3d layers in the precomp and the 3D box isnt ticked in the main comp. Not totally sure if that'll make a difference though since you have that continous box checked. I'd turn on the 3D in the main comp and see if that changs anything.

On a side note the CC snow effect might be useful if you're trying to make snow falling.

Return to posts index

Dan North
on Oct 10, 2018 at 6:39:22 pm

Hi Max.

I have tried to turn it on and it still the same.
The way I can get around with it, is if I make the comp the same size and the main comp - but since I move them around, I like I can click and drag them when hitting their boundary box.

You are right, the anim is in 3D - I'm basically spinning the diamonds around it's center while falling down..kind of a "drilling" effect.
But wondering why I can't make a small comp with it and drag to a larger even if 3D is turned on?

Thanks for the snow tip!

:)

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Oct 10, 2018 at 7:01:50 pm

Ahhh I see! I tried recreating what you described and did get the same distortion. Try this- I put the shape layer into its own precomp that's only large enough to fit the shape.

Make sure the shape layer is still 3d and do the rotation inside that tiny comp. This way you can still have the long, skinny comps in your main comp to drag around. So it'll be "Shape layer Comp" > the "70x1080 Comp" > Main comp. That seemed to stop the distortion while still letting me work with the skinny comps. hope it helps

Return to posts index

Dan North
on Oct 11, 2018 at 7:58:12 am

Thank you so much Max!
Will try right away when getting on the computer.

Have a great day,
Cheers, Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]