ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Undo Function In After Effects Is Not Consistent

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bradley Kus
Undo Function In After Effects Is Not Consistent
on Sep 13, 2018 at 11:51:35 pm

Does anyone have extensive knowledge on the Undo and Redo function within After Effects? The nature of undo and redo seems to act randomly for me. Within After Effects CS6, I have the maximum amount allowed set (99), but sometimes when I try to undo something, I'll only be able to go back 5 or 10 times before both options are greyed out and it says "Can't Redo or Can't Undo."

Other times, I'll be able to go back very far, like 30 or 40 undos until I get to where I wanted to be, but I find it very frustrating when after only a handful of undos it just doesn't let me go back, even though it is set to 99. This mostly happens when I RAM preview something for a period of time (maybe 5 or 10 minutes) and then end up not liking it so I try to go back to what I had. Does it have to do with the fact that I'm only working with an i5 chip on a laptop (not the ideal setup) and it can't handle all the processing? It seems to me it shouldn't be that, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
Re: Undo Function In After Effects Is Not Consistent
on Sep 14, 2018 at 1:32:22 am

You can set undo at 99 but it doesn’t mean you get 99.

Undo is limited by available RAM, prOkechukwu size, etc.

How much RAM do you have, and what is a typical project size for you?

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
https://www.GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Bradley Kus
on Sep 14, 2018 at 3:22:14 pm

Ahh gotcha, I've got 8 GB of ram on a core i5 with a typical project size being around 15 MB; most recent video is only 4 MB with no plugins, and only 200 layers, but I've done videos that were 30 MB, 900 layers, with tons of plugins (Plexus, Trapcode, etc.) - the undo function seems to act the same, at least for me, regardless of how much is in the video. All good though, thanks for the clarification.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Sep 14, 2018 at 10:25:32 pm

This...is why I incrementally save every 20 minutes...its basically like undo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]