ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can you read the metadata used by the "Edit Original" command?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gage Ullman
Can you read the metadata used by the "Edit Original" command?
on Sep 12, 2018 at 9:09:36 pm

I've encountered a problem where I'm pressing command+e to open the project associated with a render out of after effects, and it just keeps opening in quicktime. I assume that means that the drive the original project was on is not connected, and I have no idea where to look for it. If I could read the metadata that After Effects uses to open the original project that a movie was rendered from, though, I might be able to at least get a file path to give me a clue where to start looking, or at least that's my thinking. Anyone know if theres a way to do that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can you read the metadata used by the "Edit Original" command?
on Sep 13, 2018 at 3:15:13 am

I presume you know the name of the rendered file or can find it out. Why no use the OS to search for it?

I bet you've learned a valuable lesson from this -- taking the time to organize projects well saves time in the end.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gage Ullman
on Sep 13, 2018 at 3:21:45 am

Well, as stated, the drive on which the project file has likely been disconnected and vaulted somewhere. So searching in my OS would be useless. The intention here is to see if I can use the metadata from the file I have to find the name of a drive. If I could read the metadata (i.e., the file path used by After Effects when it opens a project using the command-e shortcut) then I could find out what drive it's on and see who in my office vaulted it and when. Then I could locate it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 13, 2018 at 9:18:39 am

Gage, try opening the movie in a text editor and searching for "aeProjectLink" (without the quotes). The file path for the original AEP should be a few lines below that if "Include project link" was enabled at render time.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]