ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Separate dimensions greyed out, making graph editor bezier edits impossible.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Houghton
Separate dimensions greyed out, making graph editor bezier edits impossible.
on Aug 11, 2018 at 9:36:56 pm

Noob question.
I have two shapes in the content layer of a shape layer. The shapes move from one keypoint to the next. I want to edit the beziers in the graph editor. Right clicking Position on either of the shapes gives me the "separate dimensions" option greyed out. If I right click the position of the layer they are in, it's fine, though.

Am I misundestanding how the layers work, or how I should be using them?

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
Re: Separate dimensions greyed out, making graph editor bezier edits impossible.
on Aug 12, 2018 at 2:25:22 am

I *think* you can only "separate dimensions" for the transform of the LAYER, and not the sub-transforms for individual shapes within the layer. So make a separate layers for each shape, and if needed parent them so they move as a group.

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
http://www.GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Separate dimensions greyed out, making graph editor bezier edits impossible.
on Aug 12, 2018 at 4:29:46 pm

You could also make a null whose position you can separate and have that drive the values of the path transform in the shape layer. Make an expression on the transform, leave the default highlighted and then pick whip the position element from the null.

For the shape itself, you can have individual control over the path nodes by "create nulls from path" in the Windows menu. This gives you the option to create a bunch of nulls automagicaly for every null in the path. When you move those nulls (and you can separate the xyz for the nulls) the nodes on the path follow their respective null.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]