ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why doesn't AE have a slo-mo' effect like PPro, and why does it break PPro's slo-mo' and Optical Flow effect upon using DynamicLink?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
Why doesn't AE have a slo-mo' effect like PPro, and why does it break PPro's slo-mo' and Optical Flow effect upon using DynamicLink?
on Aug 11, 2018 at 8:26:42 pm

Hi! This is more of a wondering-why/little-rant/maybe-someone-can-point-me-toward-a-good-plugin sort of question...
For years I've been wondering why on Earth AE doesn't have a slow motion function and PPro does? But, more importantly, why, even after the greatest Adobe implementation this side of the Moon: DynamicLink, if you slo-mo' your footage in PPro and select Optical Flow—and are amazed at the rather awesome result, all things considered—, when you hit the Replace with AE Comp command, it not only forgets about Optical Flow (because it simply doesn't exist in AE) but it also wonks out your footage, as it still looks slo-mo'd (but in that jagged 80s Jean-Luc-Goddard VHS sort of way) but it's not done through Time Remapping or custom frame rate Footage Interpretation, or any other way I can fathom, so you simply can't turn it back to normal or fix that horrible, jagged look... It's almost as if ,in the process, the PPro footage has been consolidated into a video file with the slo-mo' applied (but no the Optical Flow!) and that's been sent to AE.
So, first, I'm wondering why on Earth they've overlooked such a key feature that really ought to be an AE feature before a PPro one (it could be both, obviously... but if they had to choose one, why PPro and not AE?)
And then I'm wondering if there's a workaround or some magic, secret way of getting this to work... because more often than not I need a nice slo-mo' but I need to complete the effect in AE... or I need to create something in AE and I need it to be slo-mo'd. In the first case, I need to export the slo-mo' clip from PPro before I can work it in AE, which is a waste of time, resources and disk space. In the second instance, these same 3 hassles apply, added to the hassle of having to open up PPro, create and save a new project, import the AE sequence, slo-mo' it, and export, etc., etc. WHY!
So, in this last case, if there's no way of solving this DynamicLink faux-pas, is there any AE plug-in that works really good slo-mo' there?
Thanks in advance for your answers/recommendations/enlightening comments/or simply I'm-with-you-in-this-fight's!

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
Re: Why doesn't AE have a slo-mo' effect like PPro, and why does it break PPro's slo-mo' and Optical Flow effect upon using DynamicLink?
on Aug 12, 2018 at 2:22:34 am

After Effects has had optical flow slomo for OVER A DECADE, and there are multiple ways to implement it.

You can use time remapping and set the layer: Choose Layer > Frame Blending > Pixel Motion.
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/time-stretching-time-remapping.html
Or you can use the TIMEWARP plug in:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using//time-effects.html#timewarp_effect

And here's Andrew Kramer's tutorial circa 2007 (like I said it's been there over a decade):
https://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/speed_variation/

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
http://www.GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Why doesn't AE have a slo-mo' effect like PPro, and why does it break PPro's slo-mo' and Optical Flow effect upon using DynamicLink?
on Aug 12, 2018 at 2:52:43 pm

If you like the way PP handles slo-mo, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from exporting shots for import into AE for further work.

Dynamic Link is NOT Adobe's most robust feature. Not by a long shot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]