ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects - Moving Object Rotoscope/Stabilzation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cameron Dozier
After Effects - Moving Object Rotoscope/Stabilzation
on Aug 11, 2018 at 3:58:35 am

Hello,

I am trying to accomplish something a bit complicated, for me, with a short film. There is a character being wheeled toward the camera with a smile on his face. I am trying to make a perfect copy of just his mouth, make it much larger, and have it over his real mouth, perfectly locked on.

Trying to Liguid effect or Magnify the mouth didn't work, liguid distorted it way too much, and magnify was only giving me a circle or rectangle space to magnify with.

I have tried duplicating the footage layer, and masking out the mouth, and making the scale larger, but every movement in the enlarged mouth layer is exaggerated because it's blown up, so it floats and whatnot, doesn't look real.

What I have done instead is I took a comp of the footage, masked out the mouth, drew a tiny dot as a separate layer, and I have been matching that masked out mouth to that little dot, via the gap in the two front teeth. Then, I take that comp, drop it in my main comp of just the footage, and track it to his mouth. It works.....but it takes FOREVER to get a layer with just his mouth sitting there, perfectly still. The thing about doing it this way, is the enlarged mouth moves toward the camera and twitches, etc, the same way as the layer underneath, since its the same thing, just enlarged. Its just that I need the enlarged mouth to sit perfectly still first, in order to track it to his head and not have it float.

My question is, how would I replicate what I'm doing above, but without having to do it manually? I tried to stabilize the footage, then mask out the mouth, but it stabilizes the camera and the person in the frame still moves in their x,y while they dolly toward the camera, thus moving their mouth around, so I still have the same problem. How would I take that shot, and get just his rotoscoped mouth sitting in the same exact x,y position?

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: After Effects - Moving Object Rotoscope/Stabilzation
on Aug 11, 2018 at 7:51:38 am

You want to stabilize the footage to the mouth, which may or may not be easy if you didn't plan for it. (You may have better luck stabilizing to the nose, since it doesn't change shape so much.) Then you can mask the stabilized mouth footage. When done masking and scaling, apply the same tracking data to a null and parent your enlarged mouth layer to it.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Cameron Dozier
on Aug 14, 2018 at 8:18:09 pm

Thanks, I'm such an idiot with stuff like this, and I couldn't get the stabilizers to work the way I wanted, but what I ended up doing was tracking a point in the middle of his front teeth, then I pick-whipped the anchor point to that tracking point, which kept his mouth in the same exact position, right in the middle of the screen, since the anchor point was moving the image in perfect unison with the mouth, at the anchor point. I then masked the mouth, blew it up, tracked it to the same teeth point in another comp, and blew that thing up and feathered it a bit. it turned out looking very cool, very scary ☺

Thanks for the response!

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Aug 11, 2018 at 11:19:10 am

There are some scripts that might help you. I believe that MochaIMport+ or MaskTracker+ can help - they can create a "stabilized precomp". So in your case, you'd create the stabilized precomp of the subjects mouth, and then you can do whatever you want to it as if it were a still image.

But the magic is that the UNstabilized version inherits what you did to the stabilized version.

https://aescripts.com/masktracker-plus/
https://aescripts.com/mochaimport/

And heres an old tutorial on tracking a head wound:

https://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/creating-a-tracked-head-wound--ae-2385

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
http://www.GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Cameron Dozier
on Aug 14, 2018 at 8:18:24 pm

Thanks!