ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE won't allow Trillions on output to EXR

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bentley
AE won't allow Trillions on output to EXR
on Aug 9, 2018 at 11:20:13 pm

Project: 16 bit. Output desired: EXR in Trillions (16 bit). Possible? Is there a max frame size limitation?
Trillions is grayed out in the options - only Float is available (and works), but of course produces the "output depth is larger than comp" warning.
What am I missing?

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
Re: AE won't allow Trillions on output to EXR
on Aug 9, 2018 at 11:40:16 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Somers on Aug 10, 2018 at 2:05:15 am

EXR is a floating point format. AE's OpenEXR only allows writing float to EXR.

If you are working in 16 bit, you are working in an integer format.

EXR supports:
16 bit float (aka half float)
32 bit float
32 bit integer

I'm curious, why do you need to write integer to EXR? If you need a 16 bit integer image sequence, TIFF or PNG is the common standard.

EDIT to add: If it's because you are wanting to export a straight (not premult) alpha, Fnord's ProEXR plugin does allow selecting straight or premult. Nevertheless ProEXR also only exports float. (32 bit integer as used in EXR is typically for something like a Z depth map, not image data).

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
http://GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 10, 2018 at 7:41:21 am

You got it in one Andrew.
I figured since I can write a Z depth buffer in integer in 32 I could also do the same in 16. (actually there wasn't a lot of figuring on my end, or going back to the tech notes, it was just me trying to save space). We've got these huge frame sizes, long sequences, and so many elements, that I've been trying to find ways to keep the folders from bursting by keeping the individual file sizes down. (and by "down" I mean under 160 mb a frame). I was hoping EXR's RLE flavour would do the trick but not so much.

I also assumed AE was writing a 32 bit file out from a 16bit project when all I could choose was Float, and not the "half float" that I would expect for 16 bit. (wouldn't that be more accurate in the list?) The usual warning of "output will have more depth than the project" reinforced that thought.

I haven't played with the PXR flavour so I might try that, as our elements fit into that category nicely.

Thanks for the clarity.

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Aug 10, 2018 at 4:03:20 pm

No problem - yea, Adobe could really do a better job labeling things. Half the problem with colorspaces in AE are that things are in "adobespeak", and contradictory or non-intuitive.

Here's something: While the ProEXR plugin doesn't do integer layers, Fnord did release the source code, so I suppose it could be added with some effort:

https://github.com/fnordware/ProEXR

The ProEXR plugin renders out each layer in the AE comp as a separate layer in the EXR. Plus you have full control over the alpha channel. The "Layer composite" option is the full render (what you'd get with OpenEXR) to RGBA in addition to all the layers.

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
http://www.GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 10, 2018 at 11:42:17 pm

Smacks forehead.

The machine I was doing this on is the only one WITHOUT proEXR. No wonder it looked different. There's enough new "looks" in AE that I chocked the different dialogue up to a new Adobe layout (that, and rushing to push a render out - we've skipped a few versions along the way so the changes to the UI seem more severe - ya, that's my story!)

I'm off to dress down IT for not installing that.

Thanks for the insight - deep as usual.

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Aug 11, 2018 at 11:20:53 am

And I forgot to mention that if you hold down SHIFT when you click the output options for ProEXR it should bring up a secret menu with additional settings.

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
http://www.GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]