ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Connecting layers and mouth tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrijana Lu
Connecting layers and mouth tracking
on Jul 8, 2018 at 9:06:38 pm

I’m trying to make lines connected to the upper and down lip of the mouth so when the mouth is opening you see elastic threads (like spiderweb/ stitches) something like this but more refined. Would like to do the same with the eyes.

What is the best way to do it?
I used 3d motion tracker. Chose couple of nulls and then applied Connect Layers script. The nulls are not precise, and it happened that I started key-framing the position of those nulls frame by frame (maybe I’m missing some option within 3d tracker)
Second option I tried is Mask Track (I don’t have Face Track in AE), create Nulls and parent them to the mask (this doesn’t work), with the hope to use Connect layers script...

So:
1. What tracking should I use: 3D Camera tracking, Track Motion (don’t have Face Track) or MOCHA tracking?
2. To use Connect Layers script, Plexus or simply draw the lines and key frame their position?
3. In any case, do I have to go frame by frame and adjust position of each Null or there is another way to do it?

I’m relatively new to AE so I apologise if I’m not clear enough.

Many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Connecting layers and mouth tracking
on Jul 9, 2018 at 1:20:55 am

Sorry, but I don't think there is ANY motion tracker to do what you want. You would have to animate this by hand, which is no fun.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrijana Lu
on Jul 9, 2018 at 10:49:35 am

Do you think that creating nulls from paths and then using connecting layers script would make it easier and would work at all?
Thanks,
Andrijana

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 9, 2018 at 2:30:46 pm

I think it might be more efficient to animate the positions of small solids. I'm thinking 8x8 pixels. They would remain visible as you preview, which you would have to do a LOT.

Mind you, this is going to be a painstaking and time-consuming task.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Jul 9, 2018 at 3:44:54 pm

You could track the parts of mouth using Mocha and then parent the tracking data to a Plexus from AE scripts.

This is an older tutorial, but the general workflow is still relevant:
https://borisfx.com/videos/mocha-tutorial-planar-tracking-and-camera-solver...

Ross Shain
Boris FX / Imagineer Systems
https://borisfx.com/products/mocha/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]