ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Colourful Energy Flow Ribbon

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Millington
Colourful Energy Flow Ribbon
on Jul 3, 2018 at 2:58:09 pm

I have been approached to create a nice colourful ribbon that will fly about exactly the same as this playstation advert:

What would anyones first thought be on creating this effect like you can see in the example. I am thinking particular but how do you make it ribbon like where it waves nicely. Or perhaps Tao but after some experiments I can't use the repeater to get a dynamic ribbon effect.

Any ideas or presets?

Many thanks in advance, hope someone can help.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Colourful Energy Flow Ribbon
on Jul 3, 2018 at 4:46:56 pm

It is not necessary in 3D even though it appears to be so.

You might get a convincing result by making a non-moving version of this with some particular effects and wiggle animation and then move that flat layer around and add mesh warp to make it look like it is traveling in space.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Colourful Energy Flow Ribbon
on Jul 7, 2018 at 2:45:31 pm

3D stroke can also do a good job with this - it has a duplicate and offset function that can take one stroke and make it many. This also has the advantage of being 2.5D. You will need to add some glows or shine to this.

You could also look at the free plug in from VideoCopilot - Sabre. While initially intended for light sabre type effects, it has a host of great glowy tricks and unlike 3D stroke, has the intense glow built-in. Just use it on animated paths or masks.
If you are using AE2017 or above you can now have complete control over all nodes along an animated path - so you can animate each node separately at different points in time and use easing and the graph editor. If you have 2016 and before you have to use Mask Avenger from aescripts.com for this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]