How would you float this ship?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas Schwartz
How would you float this ship?
on Jun 28, 2018 at 1:47:40 pm
Last Edited By Lucas Schwartz on Jun 28, 2018 at 2:04:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

How would you make that ship or any other object appear to be "floating" on top of the water please?

I am trying to use the Psunami plugin to simulate the ocean and Element 3D to animate the object.

I am trying to figure out how could I make the flotation effect realistic and believable. So far - No Luck ☺

So what do you guys think, what would be the easiest way to achieve this effect and how would you go on about doing it?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: How to float a ship on a displacement surface?
on Jun 28, 2018 at 2:06:04 pm

Well, with those conditions, you'll have to have a moving mesh that has the same displacement wave amplitude and speed that you have set on psunami. (imported into Element)

You'll need that to occlude the ship's hull.

You need to make the Y movement up and down and the X rotation go with that wave amplitude too.

Can psunami output its displacement as luma? If not, you'll have a hard time guessing and reproducing.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Lucas Schwartz
on Jun 28, 2018 at 3:10:47 pm

Hi there,

Thank you for your response. Although I have been using AE for a while now I feel this animation is above my head. Would you be able to recommend an easier way to achieve the desired effect?

I do not insist on using plugins it was just the only way I could think of creating this animation...

Kind regards,

Lorant

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 28, 2018 at 5:51:33 pm
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on Jun 28, 2018 at 5:53:41 pm

I would make the water surface in Element as well. That way it can "interact" with the ship, meaning occlude it properly. And, more importantly, it can reflect the ship as well, increasing realism greatly. You can use a plane with both a normal map (animated UV offset value) and displacement noise (Element distort effect) to make it look like water. For displacement noise to work you need to set a high number of subdivisions for the plane as well as dynamic normals in Element.

For the motion of the ship, you can use a (slowish) wiggle on the Y position and a side-to-side as well as front-to-back rotation wiggle.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Clayton Glenn
Re: How would you float this ship?
on Jun 28, 2018 at 8:59:16 pm

You can set your rotational point(anchor point) below the boat and animate the rotation with ease to ease set on your keyframes for a start... suggestion... x rotation = -3 to 3 and z rotation back and forth -1 to 1. Lower values with longer duration between frames rock gently. Higher values with shorter duration gives more aggressive rocking.
vary the intensity and duration for a more random feel.

Hope this steers you in the right direction....

Saving the world one pixel at a time.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jun 28, 2018 at 10:20:17 pm

you just add a boxed blurred shadow under the boat...thats it...

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 29, 2018 at 5:24:07 am

A shadow won't increase realism. The more reflective a surface is, the less shadow it receives. Water is highly reflective close to grazing angles, so there's practically no shadow there.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jun 29, 2018 at 6:26:30 pm

luckily we aren't dealing with real water

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]