ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Beam or Particle?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ristian Rebolos
Beam or Particle?
on Jun 28, 2018 at 8:04:25 am

So, I somehow found a beam expression that does what i'm sorta trying to look for which is essentially something along these lines:

Sample1:

Sample 2:

Expression used:
rate=5.63;

my_time=time%rate;
my_time=linear(my_time,2,rate,1,100);

[my_time]

which resulted in this:

Now, before I move forward with trying to randomize this manually, a couple of questions:

1. Is there a faster way to do this with the particle effect instead of me copy pasting these layers and randomizing the stats of each one to look more fluid?
2. Should I stick to expressions like this because I have yet to see a tutorial on stuff like this(I ask because I know next to nothing about expressions) specifically or manually create it with photoshop and create frame by frames or even flash?
3. Lastly, I want something even as simple as the orange looking one, but something I can add variety on easily and randomize when necessary and ultimately emphasize the gradient whether it be via the blocky or more refined look. The colors I can figure out though. Any tips would be a godsend!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Beam or Particle?
on Jun 28, 2018 at 11:32:52 am

[Ristian Rebolos] "1. Is there a faster way to do this with the particle effect instead of me copy pasting these layers and randomizing the stats of each one to look more fluid?"

yes, precomp one of them, crop it to the edges (so your particle has a manageable resolution) and feed it to a particle engine as an animated texture.

Have the engine help you with the duplicates, size, positions and even timing and coloring if you set it properly.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Ristian Rebolos
on Jun 28, 2018 at 6:16:36 pm

1. So, I create a customized particle, with all the modifications that I want and THEN precomp?
2. Sorry, i'm fairly new at this but by particle engine you mean the particle effect in AE right?
3. Is it possible to add a gradient similar to the first one?

Return to posts index

Ristian Rebolos
on Jun 28, 2018 at 6:25:32 pm

Also, what exactly do you mean by feed it to a particle engine? I crop one of the animations, then add a particle effect on it to modify?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jun 28, 2018 at 6:57:09 pm

No I meant you animate a single beam appearing and disapearing. Pre comp that.

Now you create a solid and add a particle engine plugin that has the ability to use layers as texture, such as Trapcode's Particular.

Use the plugin's properties to do the things I told you before.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jun 28, 2018 at 10:18:53 pm

Beam does that? i was just looking for something like that

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jun 29, 2018 at 11:54:21 am

[Richard Garabedain] "Beam does that?"

that what? that mosaic'd gradient look?

You could do that in several ways, I would do with a gradient shape layer, mosaic or posterize effect, and mask animation. Since I'll only need to animate it once.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Ristian Rebolos
on Jun 30, 2018 at 2:33:23 am

Sweet, thanks!

Return to posts index

Ristian Rebolos
on Jul 3, 2018 at 11:38:22 am

Sorry, I don't mean to revive this thread, but I have to ask you a few things:

1. Is the new solid within the precomp?
2. What's the purpose of the precomp if I input the same settings in the Trapcode Particular?(I've never pre comp'd anything before)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]