ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering Ultrawide Composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Platt
Rendering Ultrawide Composition
on Jun 21, 2018 at 12:09:16 pm

Hey All,

I'm trying to render a composition in H.264 that is 12,480 W x 1920 H for a projection mapping design but in the render cue AE will not let me render anything wider than 4,096. Is there a way to do this in media encoder or with different settings possibly?

Thank You,
Matt

Return to posts index

Roman Holtwick
Re: Rendering Ultrawide Composition
on Jun 21, 2018 at 12:18:10 pm

I think this is specific to the codec, try some settings! h.246 won't let you do that, but others should work. I recently had the same problem while making a 360° video.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jun 21, 2018 at 1:15:37 pm

You will the specs for the system that is playing back the projection. I'd guess it will be in smaller pieces.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 21, 2018 at 3:19:46 pm

I do a ton of arena type formats.
Most of the time I have to render to ProRes then use AME to convert to odd sizes e.g.2400x72, 2996x42, 17072x48, etc..
Some vendors require varying types of AVI so I use ISkySoft or use PC version of AME.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 22, 2018 at 4:47:39 pm

It's vanishingly rare to use H.264 for projects like the one you describe. Like Tero said, you need to speak to the technicians running the playback system.

Traditional video standards and workflows do not apply to custom displays, and because there are so many variables, no one but the playback operator can give you the details on how to deliver your work.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jun 22, 2018 at 7:12:21 pm

I think the current max is 30,000 pixels wide for AE, so any limitations you are seeing below that number would be a limitation of the codec you are trying to render to.

Return to posts index

Matt Platt
on Jul 5, 2018 at 7:06:21 pm

I'd be playing it back on an Avolites Ai media server system that utilizes a proprietary codec called AIM which is in a Quicktime wrapper. Think I should try something like AVI and then convert it to AIM after the fact?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 6, 2018 at 1:21:26 am

[Matt Platt] "I'd be playing it back on an Avolites Ai media server system that utilizes a proprietary codec called AIM which is in a Quicktime wrapper. Think I should try something like AVI and then convert it to AIM after the fact?"

Yes, that's a good workflow. We usually render to QuickTime Animation or a mezzanine codec like CineForm or ProRes (depending on the project specifics) to keep a high-quality version for the archives), and then we encode for delivery from there.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jorn Bergmans
on Jul 10, 2018 at 5:47:06 pm

I will echo the information provided in this thread already, of exporting to another (intermedia / mastering) codec, and creating the deliverable from that master file.

However, rendering an h.264 encoded video in resolutions above 4096 pixels wide is not possible.
h.264 has a set of levels restricted to certain resolutions and datarates. See Wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

If you need to deliver in such a wide resolution, you will have to break up your composition into several parts and export those to h.264, or ask the people doing the video mapping/playback if you can deliver in a codec which supports that resolution; such as ProRes (LT), Apple Animation, or HAP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]