How to track this footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sney Noorani
How to track this footage
on Jun 14, 2018 at 7:50:01 pm
Last Edited By Sney Noorani on Jun 14, 2018 at 7:56:47 pm

hi folks,

I'm running some tests for an upcoming spot I'm working on and we thought we'd try to build in a camera move to our greenscreen shot. I put some tracking markers on the wall thinking this would be enough to track, but I'm having issues.

Would be hugely greatful for workflow advice in generating a 3d camera in after effects from this shot. I have AE's built in trackers and mocha pro, I've tinkered with both but neither is producing solid tracks, so I'm going to ask for help instead of bleeding over my keyboard for days.

12451_orbittestongreen1proof.mp4.zip

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: How to track this footage
on Jun 14, 2018 at 8:50:10 pm

Does this mean the 3D camera tracker in AE isn't working? If not it looks like something Mocha should handle just fine. Assuming you are working with the original file and not the .MP4?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Sney Noorani
on Jun 14, 2018 at 8:59:14 pm

I'm working with 5K RED footage, the crushed version is just for people in this forum to review, though if you want to have a go, I can upload a high quality version to my dropbox.

The 3d camera tracker in AE was first thrown off by foreground subject, so I garbage masked him out. Still no dice.

I tried mocha, using the trackers on one wall and then the other as the search areas I looped around 3 or 4 trackers depending on which side I was trying, no consistent lock. probably because there's not enough texture detail as the greenscreen is bland as it should be but mocha work better with obvious planes and textures.

I was hoping Mocha could get that the tracking markers were on the same plane despite not being a rectangle (this is picking either wall to the right or rear of subject - I'm not trying to track both walls at the same time)

I tried an unlocked track as well and that started to behave better for some sections, but that technique is not giving me a consistent result.

I also keyed the footage just leaving a black and white matte with the markers being left as the only objects in 'black space' hoping the blunt contrast might make tracking easier (I'm trying to track the screen matte effectively) again, some sections work, but not all

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 14, 2018 at 9:39:19 pm

It sounds like you have done everything right. I'm not sure why it is having trouble. What are you putting behind the person?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 14, 2018 at 9:53:16 pm

I wonder if you lack enough markers. I think you will really dig this Green Screen Tracking marker tutorial:

By the end, they had a sweet idea.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Jun 15, 2018 at 6:00:38 am

In situations like this its best to shoot a clean plate without the subject first, then another with the subject in. Obviously you will need some kind of rig for the camera that can record the movement of the camera and replicate it for this. You'll need a load more markers for the walls and floor. Also, make sure to white balance the camera before shooting, this will make sure the footage is well lit and balanced so you won't need to use any post effects to make the markers show up. You could make this work with Mocha but it would be a bit like pulling teeth :-(

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Sney Noorani
on Jun 15, 2018 at 6:16:46 am

Stephen, thanks for the link to the video about tracking markers. I'm basically breaking out of the editors chair and getting my hands messy with production, so understanding how to set up studios for vfx is super useful.

Also FYI I did actually get this track to work using AE's 3D Camera Tracker which was odd because I don't think I varied my technique too much from before I posted, but it seemed to work later on.

Angie, my fellow Brit (I live in California though), thanks for your pointers.

In this world of ever shrinking production/post budgets, your notion of a motion control rig is giggle inducing. - I work in a small town, so sadly I have champagne ambition on beer budget, much like many of my clients here. No motion control rig, and frankly I'm glad to swing a green screen studio and dolly... and I'm counting on as much wizardry as I can muster to close the gaps between what clients are willing to pay for and what i want my work to look like.

This problem is solved for the moment, though if anyone wants to post more advice on tracking I'm very open to learning more.

Thanks for playing!

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Jun 15, 2018 at 6:26:32 am

I understand and feel your pain! :-)

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 15, 2018 at 2:37:45 pm

Right on, I'm glad it worked. I think with the extra track points and varying up their shapes you will be good to go. You will have to share the final project when you are done. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]