ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Getting odd colours with GifGun

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Davies
Getting odd colours with GifGun
on Jun 7, 2018 at 9:27:12 pm

I am creating a 20 second animated GIF, 1080px x 1080px, 25fps.

When I use GifGun to create the GIF, there is an orange, key to the branding, that turns green and for the life of me can't figure this out. I have tried creating this background layer as a flat PSD, transparent with a shape-layer for the background colour, each element of the background as a shape and yet it will still turn green. It's definitely RGB.

To help narrow down, I create the gif at different stages and as soon as I start to animate position of other shape layers with masks (revealing text), it then begins to turn green when a gif.

A rendered .mov, the colour will be fine

I contacted GifGun, they are not sure and told me to add an adjustment layer with 1% noise over the area this occurs. Now this solves my problem! But bumps up the file size. Why would this solve my problem?

Is there another way to create the GIF? Photoshop won't import export a .mov thats over 500frames and also created large Gifs. Would you have an alternative?

Hope you can help! Image on the left - non animated GIF export, image on the right - animated GIF export.

Image exported with 1% noise adjustment layer.

Digital Designer
stevedavies.io

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Getting odd colours with GifGun
on Jun 7, 2018 at 9:44:54 pm

Noise makes any compression do more work - there are more colors to consider and you will (usually) end up with a larger file because there is more information.

FFMpeg will compress GIFs and there's GIFsicle.

With the vector look, you could also set a custom pallet of fewer colors at a lower bit depth (we use an old copy of debabelizer to do this). If you pre-reduce the colors that are fed into the compression software, it has less to do and what comes out the other end is smaller in mb and more tailored to the colors that are there. (so like 30,000 colours or even 256 instead of the 16.7 million you get with 8bit)

As for your orange to green problem - its possible that orange is not in the gamut for a GIF and because there are no graduations or variations of that color it just gets changes in the LUT (although all the over to a green seems bizzare). Adding noise creates those variations (kind of like a dither would) and allows the LUT to approximate a color closer to the original even though the exact one might not exist in the GIF world.
The alternative to noise would be to shift that color slightly in the original until it compresses to something more reasonable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]