ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RED footage in AE pipeline

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Val Mike
RED footage in AE pipeline
on Jun 6, 2018 at 11:10:23 am

Hey, everyone!

I need to do some vfx (keying, compositing) with Scarlet Dragon footage, and I'm a bit confused as to how to bring it in AE and output it for grading keeping the color space consistent and vfx friendly. Its been discussed in many topics but since the introduction of IPP2, it seems the process has changed.
My thoughts on this process:
- bring the cut in REDCine-X as an XML
- render all vfx shots as ProRes 444
- bring all in AE
- render as 16bit dpx

What I dont get is what color space to choose? Ungraded Log3G10? Or IPP2 Output transform with rec.709 as color space and REDLogFilm gamma curve?
Some mentioned REDColor 2/3 with REDLogFilm, but I cant seem to find this option anymore... Also how do I interpret this footage in AE? I cant use simple LUTs for this, can I? Cuz Log footage won't composite properly...

Thanks! Any contribution is highly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: RED footage in AE pipeline
on Jun 6, 2018 at 11:25:48 am

[Val Mike] "What I dont get is what color space to choose? Ungraded Log3G10? Or IPP2 Output transform with rec.709 as color space and REDLogFilm gamma curve?"

Well are you in charge of this pipeline or do you have other people working on the project? You'll need to keep it same through the pipe.

Return to posts index

Val Mike
on Jun 6, 2018 at 12:03:20 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the colorist be able to match any footage as long as its in >10bit and in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4?
Lets put it another way... are there round trip options for Red footage in AE, so that the footage rendered from AE matches (or close to) RedCine renders?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jun 6, 2018 at 12:16:39 pm

The colorist needs to know the source gamut and gamma.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 6, 2018 at 12:52:04 pm

Love this post please keep up the chatter.
I dont do full blow VFX with RED clips just mere seconds/frames.
In the past it was export ProRes/DNxHD from REDCINE then with XML, I started to dabble with staying as RAW as possible.
Honestly from my years with RED, it all depends on who you work with and what their style is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]