ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Frischluft DOF Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Gardenhire
Frischluft DOF Problem
on Jun 2, 2018 at 1:59:03 am

Hello all, for those of you that use Frischluft DOF in aftereffects, I ran into a peculiar problem. I render my zdepth out of maya with redshift renderer which spits out a red channel with the depth. When I go to use it as my DOF in frischluft, it only allows me to have a small sliver in focus. Ive attached an image with it turned up to 100 so you can see what im saying more clearly. Anyone run into this before?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Frischluft DOF Problem
on Jun 5, 2018 at 6:57:14 am

Are you interpreting the footage to preserve the RGB? (depth channel only) And are you using at least a 16bit comp and 16bit rendered elements? This give the depth channel so much more head room and you can crush and expand your depth channel to stretch that focus area. You can use the depthBuffer/curves setting in LensCare or pre curve your footage in a precomp before lens care sees it to expand the area of focus.

Can you do a Position pass in Maya? These tend to work better than depth passes because you can alter the scale of the scene for that pass, thereby expanding what is in focus.

You can also use a shorter lens and put the camera closer - shorter lenses have longer focus areas than longer lenses.
Or you can use a higher f stop in your camera settings to increase what is in focus.

These last three are really just changing the falloff of the depth gradient, which you can do yourself in AE.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 6, 2018 at 2:19:24 pm

You should be able to have a wider area in focus by messing with the Frischulft settings like radius.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jun 6, 2018 at 3:48:07 pm

Radius doesn't affect the distance the "in focus" area extends to; the radius number is basically the amount of blur. Yes you can reduce the blur or radius amount and that will seem to extend the in-focus sections but its only because the difference between in focus and out of focus is less. Kind of like when you have very little out of focus its hard to see where the roll off is from in focus to out of focus.

What "radius" does from a technical aspect is it determines how many pixels to include in the blur. The more pixels (the radius number) the more will be included in the averaging of that pixel group. If only two pixels are included, only that pixel and its immediate neighbors will be averaged, so you can still see lots of detail. But if you choose 10, a square of 10 pixels by 10 pixels is going to be averaged together, so any details smaller than 10 pixels are going to be smudged together with 100 other pixels.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 7, 2018 at 1:30:53 pm

I mean, I understand that, but in 3d (as with real life cameras), there's really only one plane that's truly fully in focus. Dropping the amount of blur is the same thing as having more of the image appear in focus.

Now, if they wanted to make more of it be in focus and then still drop into blur as much as it does, it wouldn't be realistic, but I'll bet they could add a Curves effect on the blur map to adjust it more how they want it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]