ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

broadcast element question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elena Colombo
broadcast element question
on May 15, 2018 at 10:57:10 am

Hi, any of you knows how technically are called the little animated banner with alpha channel at the corner of a tv channel? I mean the one with short videos with some host that strike a pose...? I dont' know what exactly search on internet for examples...

thanks!!!
elena

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: broadcast element question
on May 15, 2018 at 11:22:07 am

It's called a lower third.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 15, 2018 at 1:23:22 pm

Let me muddy the water a little bit. They are also known as "bugs" or "snipes".

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Elena Colombo
on May 15, 2018 at 2:41:09 pm

thanks a lot!
with bugs or snipes I can't find examples with video but only with motion graphics... I have to project something with a video of a person on green screen and motion graphics all around it. Maybe there's another way to call them?
thanks!
elena

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 15, 2018 at 8:23:31 pm

First things first.

You obviously have a client. Do you have a design from the client? Do you have delivery specifications for this animation? Do you have a storyboard depicting how the animation will work, perhaps?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Elena Colombo
on May 15, 2018 at 9:17:17 pm

I'm the client ☺ I work in a tv as motion designer and I've to explore this kind of elements, maybe announcing the next tv show. We will play them onair by VizRT. Maybe I've seen something like that in some tv shows (maybe "Master chef"?!) but I still can't find examples with hosts strike a pose...!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 15, 2018 at 10:37:26 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 16, 2018 at 4:13:01 pm

[Elena Colombo] "I'm the client ☺ I work in a tv as motion designer and I've to explore this kind of elements, maybe announcing the next tv show. We will play them onair by VizRT."

This is wonderful news. I was worried you were starting with nothing.
But you have people who know how to light and shoot for chroma key. You have people who can help you deliver the proper kind of file. You have program hosts who know what they are doing on television. You have all the important pieces.

You simply need to see an example, and that is the difficult part -- they play over the current program as it airs. Very few people record television programs off the air any more!

The ones I have seen are about 10 seconds long, and they match the personality of the program. One was a detective comedy program -- the star creeped across the bottom of the screen, followed by graphics -- the show logo, day, time and the network logo. Another was a cooking program -- the host popped up from the bottom of the screen with the show logo, which was a sign. He hit the sign with his hand, and the sign spun around a few times. As that happened, the program information appeared. It all took place on the lower-right portion of the screen.

Your luxury is that you can start with a blank sheet of paper and devise something new! And work closely with the people who will shoot the program hosts. One word of advice -- if this will be used a long time, the hosts may want to have a few wardrobe changes.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on May 15, 2018 at 8:50:28 pm

Not sure if you'll be able to pull one up online very easily. Record a few hours of TV and you'll likely catch a few. Check shows on YouTube too.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 15, 2018 at 8:56:55 pm

Also if you are supplying a "bug" to a broadcaster make sure to get and understand their specifications for how they need it as an element.

Return to posts index

Elena Colombo
on May 15, 2018 at 9:41:31 pm

Here in Italy they're not used a lot ☺
I've not yet found it in youtube ☹

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]