ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Randomly appearing dots from Illustrator file

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rene Lepelaar
Randomly appearing dots from Illustrator file
on May 12, 2018 at 11:40:53 am

Hi guys,

I would appreciate some help with Script in After Effects.

I have a illustrator file of places (about 100 dots) on a map.
The dots must appear randomly on this with increasing speed.

When al dots are shown most of them must be attracted (like a magnet) to one point.

Of course I can do this manually but that is tedious work.

Thanks for the help

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Randomly appearing dots from Illustrator file
on May 13, 2018 at 4:31:19 pm

It's tedious work working out the exact expression as well, but here's the basic idea:

- Have one dot per layer with 100 layers, in their original position
- The time offset between when things show up or move can be based on layer index
- The "do I move this layer?" can be based on a fraction, for example 90 of the layers move, 10 do not
- Since you know the original position and final position of the layers, you can interpolate between them (linearly or eased)

It would take me an hour or two to write the expressions. It would take me about the same time to do the animation manually. The real difference is in the flexibility of the approach: expressions would be easy to modify once you have them worked out, a manual animation could take 1-2 hours to fix in each correction round.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Rene Lepelaar
on May 13, 2018 at 6:25:57 pm

Thanks,
I can indeed do the animation manually. I seemed to that a simple action should show the objects (converted file to shapes) within the shape layer randomly.

regards

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on May 14, 2018 at 3:11:49 pm

I have a distinct feeling it is going to be more difficult with a shape layer than separate layers. Accessing properties within shape layer content is somewhat limited. If you just want the dots appearance to be animated, you can animate a slider value and then put an expression on the layer opacity that turns it on depending when the layer index is lower than the slider value. Similarly, if you want to expand this to the motion towards a given point, you can use another slider going from 0 to 100 (or beyond) and interpolate the layer positions between origin and target based on the index and the slider value. Those should both be relatively easy to do. But I would do it on 100 layers (well, 100 copies of a small pre-comp with a dot inside it, really), not on a single shape layer; I expect that to be easier.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]