ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Impossible to create radial grid

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rowan de Geus
Impossible to create radial grid
on Feb 17, 2018 at 10:02:34 pm
Last Edited By Rowan de Geus on Feb 17, 2018 at 10:16:50 pm

Numerous possibilities exist to fill the comp with a boxed grid of circles (e.g. 50x50) using e.g. a particle emitter.

It seems rather impossible though to distribute these circles on a radial grid filling the comp?

Example:

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Impossible to create radial grid
on Feb 19, 2018 at 3:58:14 pm

So you want to know how to create the image above?

Return to posts index

Rowan de Geus
on Feb 19, 2018 at 4:04:12 pm

Basically yes, I need to replicate a design done in Illustrator.

I am scaling all the dots individually with a gradient map., and the problem is that the design contains 2350 circles. Impossible to push these all to seperate Shape layers, Ae crashes. So I am using Trapcode Form, which is working great but the grid is not radial, its boxed.

Return to posts index

Rowan de Geus
on Feb 21, 2018 at 9:07:41 am

So, no one on this earth knows how to create a radial grid of 2350 circles in Ae!?

Return to posts index

Rowan de Geus
on Mar 12, 2018 at 8:26:49 pm

Anyone?

Return to posts index

Jamie Bradshaw
on Mar 12, 2018 at 9:44:45 pm

It might not be the solution you're looking for, but I think having a look at Stardust might help...

https://www.superluminal.tv/

Another solution might be using Video Copilot's Element. It has a particle ring array that could prove useful.

I guess the best way to tackle it with Trapcode Form would be to create a 3D object that has a vertex at every point where you want a dot. Then you can use a .obj file to position the particles correctly whilst you manipulate them with layers like you've already described.

Return to posts index

joe kaye
on Mar 13, 2018 at 11:44:24 am

For what it's worth, if I was looking to create this kind of animation I wouldn't be considering after effects... you might have more luck with a genuine 3d environment like blender or unity3d free (both free options).

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Mar 13, 2018 at 3:05:58 pm

What about the shape repeaters?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 13, 2018 at 9:01:57 pm

There are all sorts of scripts available (aescripts.com) that mimic the functionality of the cloner in mograph in C4d. They can all do a radial object that you then populate with whatever you want. Then use an effector to change the size or density to match the pattern you have shown.
You could also write a fairly simple expression that would populate objects in concnetric rings.

Return to posts index

Rowan de Geus
on Mar 14, 2018 at 9:01:44 am

@Jamie
Thanks, I will look into Stardust and Element. Regarding Form and vertex points, I am aware of that, but I am looking for automated distribution ☺

@joe
So it seems...

@Richard & Steve
Thanks, but shapes are unfortunately not an option. After Effects crashes when using 2350 shapes, otherwise I could just push my Illustrator drawing to Ae and be done ☺ This is why I am using particles.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 15, 2018 at 1:00:52 am

Do you have to use shapes? If they are all the same shape or a few base shapes can you render out an element with an alpha and bring that back in to use for the array population?
I wasn't aware of a limit with shapes - but we've made things like this with png's or pshop files where we've had objects in the millions with no crashing issues (but to be fair we have gobs of ram).
Element3D renders instances so it shouldnt kill your ram.
Cloners and Effectors (yes that's its name) also renders instances so it shouldn't kill your ram either but I'd have to test it.

Return to posts index

Rowan de Geus
on Mar 15, 2018 at 8:41:26 am

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.

I am looking for automated distribution, so Cloners+Effectors is out of the question since I'd have to manually distribute each ring. Also it slows down my system pretty fast (i7 4770, 16GB RAM). For Ae shapelayers: they kill my system from about 1000+ layers...

I have to be able to animate the scale of every circle in the grid individually, hence I am using Trapcode Form with gradient maps...

Could you elaborate a bit further on how you achieved this by even using millions?

Thanks, greets!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Mar 15, 2018 at 1:24:46 pm

I'll just throw some ideas around.

Do you have to do it in AE? Because I'd do that in C4d with all the flexibility in the world...

If you have to do it in AE...and I have no idea how you'll want to animate it but, can't you like create the shapes for lets say 5º-10º of the circle, pre-comp and duplicate/rotate the comp?

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Rowan de Geus
on Mar 15, 2018 at 1:41:19 pm

Hi Cassius,

Not per se Ae, so if you know an automated way of distributing these circles radially in C4D I'm listening :)

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Mar 15, 2018 at 2:06:52 pm

Sure, just like I said, you have all the flexibility to get as close as that image (or anything else you'd like). But it requires some tweaking and some understanding of the app.

In 10mins I came up with this...

Circles Distribution from Cassius Marques on Vimeo.

I can send you the source file if you want a headstart...

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Rowan de Geus
on Mar 16, 2018 at 8:11:47 am

That looks very good, I'd VERY MUCH like to know how to build that!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Mar 16, 2018 at 2:33:19 pm

12260_untitled1.c4d.zip

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Rowan de Geus
on Mar 20, 2018 at 3:23:47 pm

Thanks Cassius! This looks really simple, combining this afterwards with Ae should be a breeze ☺

Cheers to you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]