ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trace to Path 3D scale problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jesse richards
Trace to Path 3D scale problem
on Feb 1, 2018 at 12:19:38 pm

Hi all

I have an issue with the new Trace to Path function in After Effects 2018.

I have got a Null travelling around a Mask on a solid layer and its working well. I have made my the solid layer with the mask into a 3d layer to see if the Null would work in 3D and it does.

The problem is that the Null that is travelling around the Mask is a 2d layer with an expression on it to convert the 2d position into a 3d looking movement. That works well but the layers I have parented to the Null don't scale relative to the camera. They just stay the same size no matter where the camera moves.

Does anyone know if a script that would make my 2d layers scale relative to the original 3d Solid with the Mask that Trace to Path is reading it's positional data from?

Thanks. Hope that makes some kind of sense.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Trace to Path 3D scale problem
on Feb 1, 2018 at 1:21:04 pm

And why can't you make the null travelling around the mask a 3d layer?

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

jesse richards
on Feb 1, 2018 at 2:17:13 pm

Hey Cassius

It's just how the Trace Path seems to work (unless I'm missing something). It is keeping the Null in 2D but putting an expression on it's position to mimic the 3D co-ordinates of the Mask layer.

If you make it 3d the Z goes to a seemingly random number (not zero). Although I've maybe found a fudge workaround by copying that z value into the z value of the anchor point. That seems to work although not very elegant.

Return to posts index

jesse richards
on Feb 1, 2018 at 2:40:26 pm

Actually the method above does not work. Still looking for a solution...

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 1, 2018 at 3:45:14 pm

What exactly are you using the trace path for? I mean, can't you copy the path and paste it into a null's position, them make both 3d and them you apply the transformations you had done (that require making the solid 3d), to both?

It's hard to grasp at what are you trying to do without seeing the file. But there's nothing of the sort you're describing that can't be done, its just a matter of workflow.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Feb 1, 2018 at 3:46:55 pm

then*².

I really hate this forum for not being able to edit/remove posts =P.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

jesse richards
on Feb 1, 2018 at 3:52:50 pm

Thanks Cassius.

You're right, I can solve this problem another way.

The script Align to Path works but the method for altering the path after you've set everything up seems very buggy or does not work in my experience.

Or, like you say, coping a path into the position value but I find that the path often comes in misaligned and is also fiddly to alter.

I was just hoping this would be a simple very editable way of tracing paths, so that when inevitable changes come in I can just move a few nulls around.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Leng
on Apr 9, 2018 at 3:02:16 pm

When you create a Null with the Trace Path script the Null has an Expression on its postion property. In this expression you should change "pathLayer.toComp" into "pathLayer.toWorld". This should do the trick.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]