ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Constraining Shape Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nitin Burli
Constraining Shape Layer
on Jan 10, 2018 at 8:23:03 am

Hi,

So I have a logo that I'm trying to redesign, the green Image is the logo. Now I used a shape layer to make a sphere, then I added a repeater to it, and scaled the repeater attributes. Then I grouped this shape and added another repeater and used the rotation attributes of it to create a circle.

Reference

Attempt

Is my technique right so far?

What I want to do is constrain this circle to the reference logo without making the circles oval. Any idea how?

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Daniel Zat
Re: Constraining Shape Layer
on Jan 10, 2018 at 11:18:14 am

Hi Nitin!

I think your attempt is really good so far and you just need to shave off some of the spheres at the sides with a mask.
It is not easy to count the spheres because of the limited image quality but I am sure there are MORE spheres
at the top and bottom. They are not smaller or closer together just more. So you seem to be close to the result.

Depending on the way you want to use the logo later it could also be easily done in Adobe Illustrator with a blend.

Good luck!

Daniel Zat - Motion Designer & Visual Artist

Return to posts index

Nitin Burli
on Jan 11, 2018 at 8:27:42 am

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your response. I have a couple of questions.

Considering my goal is to use procedural Mo-Graph animation on the logo, I was wondering if there was a blending attribute in AE itself that I can use. I'm definitely considering doing the entire logo manually, however I'm just contemplating exploring another method.

Any insight would be super! Thanks again, Daniel.

Return to posts index

Daniel Zat
on Jan 11, 2018 at 10:46:15 am

Hi again Nitin!

A shape blending option like you would expect from illustrator is not present as far as I know.
The closest ideas being the echo effekt or a simple animated shape layer copied 10 times and
with the animation deleted a few frames apart so that you end up with freezed inbetweens.

But depending on the way you want to animate this logo there are much better ways around this.
You could for example create a precomp for a row of spheres wherein you could animate
them with much more control as opposed to a double-repeater setup. Afterwards you put them
in a comp set the anchor point somewhere at the tip of the sphere row and copy+rotate them
around the comp center until you come around your logo completely.

You could calculate the rotation angle for each row or just use cascading parenting for the roatation.

When everything is in place you can achieve some cool effects by offsetting the rows
start time and speed with time remapping and shifting in the timeline.

Hope that helps!

Daniel Zat - Motion Designer & Visual Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]