ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Removing a static object behind a moving subject

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mary scurby
Removing a static object behind a moving subject
on Jan 10, 2018 at 5:37:47 am

Hi y'all, I shot an interview with a light positioned just behind the subject's chair. The top half of the light peeked out above the chair back, but the interviewee's upper body should have covered it. Unfortunately, the interviewee was much shorter than anticipated and also moved during the interview, exposing the edge of the light behind his shoulder.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to remove the edge of this light from behind my subject's moving shoulder? If so, what would the best method be?

The rest of the background is very bokeh, so it should be easy to clone and fill in the small area behind the light.

Any ideas would be so very appreciated.

Return to posts index

Martin Brennand
Re: Removing a static object behind a moving subject
on Jan 10, 2018 at 7:55:20 am

Sorry to give the worst kind of subjective answer, but it really depends on the shot:
1. How much light bleed is there when the light is exposed to the camera?
2. Does the light wrap over her shoulder?
3. Is the camera locked or moving?
4. How much does the subject move?

If it's locked, you really just need to roto the subject's body and paint out the background. If there's bleed into the foreground however, that will be harder to clean up.

Can you share a few frames of the sequence to outline the issue further?

Martin Brennand | Product Manager | mocha - Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 10, 2018 at 9:08:49 pm

Certainly sounds like the RotoBrush in AE will be your friend. Use that to mask the interviewee and mask/clone the background section behind him.
Would help to see the shot in question.
TC

Return to posts index

mary scurby
on Jan 17, 2018 at 4:55:34 pm

Thank you for your reply, Martin! The camera was locked so I was able to find someone to roto work as you suggested. Unfortunately, I cannot share any frames publicly but I really appreciate your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]