ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Which color profile? - Linear 32-bit float editing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria Smith
Which color profile? - Linear 32-bit float editing
on Jan 8, 2018 at 4:17:39 pm

Hello everybody!
[1] Which is the best color profile in After Effects for linear 32-bit float editing? (the final result is going on YouTube and maybe national TV).
[2] Also, do I need to enable the "High Dynamic Range"-checkbox when using the "Lumetri Color"-effect for color grading since I'm working in linear 32-bit float?
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Which color profile? - Linear 32-bit float editing
on Jan 9, 2018 at 1:34:27 am

What are your delivery specifications? They drive all you do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 9, 2018 at 2:40:28 am

hd tv is rec. 709, hdr is rec. 2020.
high dynamic range doesn't accept anything except certain h.264 hdr stuff. its still in beta. gamma 1.0 or linear light is used for compositing in linear color or matching cgi. not always needed and can do weird things if you've never used it before.
32 bit is not always needed as well as it can change blending. it can help if you need overbrights or special grading. 16bpc is trillions of colors and will be the export depth for no banding. 32 can dither to it as well.

I see you may post to youtube. if you want 10 bit color, you'll need to HDR grade in resolve, create metadata for delivery or you'll have to export out a lossless 8 bit codec, import again and run neatvideo(run as 8 bit effect) to remove banding and export final h.264.

Return to posts index

Maria Smith
on Jan 9, 2018 at 7:18:24 am

Yeah so if I understand you correctly - I shouldn't check the "High Dynamic Range"-checkbox when using the "Lumetri Color"-effect, since Rec. 709 and sRGB won't handle HDR? Correct?
However, I want to use linear 32-bit float since I'm working on compositions that require realistic behaving lights. Do you recommend sRGB or Rec. 709?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 9, 2018 at 8:13:55 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Jan 9, 2018 at 8:17:25 pm

the hdr box enables some roll off features, but disables luts. imho, its kinda worthless right now because you can't actually grade in rec. 2020. the lumetri color engine doesn't support any color management besides sRGB/rec. 709, and you can't export codecs in ST. 2084 gamma in true rec. 2020 color.
sRGB and Rec. 709 are the same thing if the rec. 709 is 2.2 gamma. they have the same color primaries. there are differences in 16-235 luma and 204 sat color for broadcast limits.

if you use other tools that are not lumetri, it may be possible to grade in higher than sRGB in AE only(not premiere). opencolorIO plugin is one example because it supports larger gamuts in ACES colorspace.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]