ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I make a Custom Pixel Aspect Ratio for Compositions in After Effects CC 2018?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark McIntosh
How do I make a Custom Pixel Aspect Ratio for Compositions in After Effects CC 2018?
on Jan 5, 2018 at 10:21:45 pm

This question was addressed years ago - and a fix was listed. However, that configuration file is not the same in After Effects CC. Here is the problem...

My company produces a LED panel that is see-through. In order to achieve more visibility through the product, there are more pixels horizontally than there are vertically. The ratio is 1:2 - the opposite of anamorphic. I need a custom PAR to be available as a drop down selection when creating the compositions so my content designers can work in a WYSIWYG environment. Otherwise they want to create the content as double height and then squish it on output... which will not yield the best results.

I think that I can put a script item into the '1_startup.jsx' file for creating the custom PAR. The previous fix was listed as this...

You create custom Pixel Aspect Ratios using the text file "Interpretation Rules" in the AE application folder. Make a backup of the file before you begin, in case you stuff it up. Here's an example of text you can paste into the rules to define an HDV preset:
# Andy's HDV rule
# soft rule; assume 1440x1080 formats with all frame rates have HDV 1.33 pixel aspect ratio & upper field first
1440, 1080, *, *, * ~ 1920/1440, U, *, *

I am wondering if the '1_startup.jsx' is the correct file to insert this code. Thanks for any help!

Extended information if you need it -
LED Panel is 500mm x 500mm @ 3.9mm resolution.
Normally a 3.9mm tile would be a 128 x 128 resolution.
Pixel count is 128h x 64v.
The actual screen output resolution will be 768 x 320.
Photoshop PAR is 0.5 or 1:2.

Help me create a 0.5 PAR for After Effects! Thanks guys.

-Mark

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: How do I make a Custom Pixel Aspect Ratio for Compositions in After Effects CC 2018?
on Jan 7, 2018 at 11:13:54 am

The same instructions from 2006 still apply, but the file you need to modify has moved.

The "Interpretation Rules.txt" file lives alongside your preferences. From the documentation on Reveal preferences [link]:

Preferences, including keyboard shortcuts and workspaces, are stored as files in the following locations:
(Windows) \Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\[version]
(Mac OS) /Users/[user_name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/[version]

To reveal the preferences in After Effects, go to:
Edit > Preferences > General and click Reveal Preferences in Explorer button (Windows)
After Effects > Preferences > General and click Reveal Preferences in Finder button (Mac OS)

Once you've found "Interpretation Rules.txt" in that folder, to add a custom 0.5 pixel aspect ratio, you can add a line like this as the last line in the file:
0, 0, 0, "0000", * = 1/2/"LED Custom Aspect", *, *, *, *, *

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Mark McIntosh
Re: How do I make a Custom Pixel Aspect Ratio for Compositions in After Effects CC 2018?
on Jan 8, 2018 at 4:54:32 pm

You know... I love this forum. It's just full of so much win. 😉

Walter,

Sincere thanks for taking the time to assist. I will try this out today. I'll post the results if I am successful.

-Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]