ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Move through a picture | the boy stays in the picture | parallax

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jan jansen
Move through a picture | the boy stays in the picture | parallax
on Jan 4, 2018 at 1:22:31 pm

So I'm trying to understand the 2.5d effect and I think I got it down however I stumble across one thing that I can't seem to figure out.

The idea is the following:
I zoomed in a lot. When zooming out the items in the foreground come across the camera from the back.

The problem is the following:
Because the items have a different z-value they "move" when zooming out. This makes perfect sense.

What do I want:
When zooming out I want the images stay the same size as they had in the original picture background. So the "moving" effect disappears.

I haven't tried this yet but while writing this I think I might need to animate the different image layers as well to change the sizes?

Any ideas on how I would accomplish this in the right way?

M.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Move through a picture | the boy stays in the picture | parallax
on Jan 4, 2018 at 4:04:00 pm

You will notice that when you looked at examples of this technique, you didn't see any zooming or much camera movement in the z-axis. You saw a LOT of horizontal camera movement.

The reason -- this technique is designed for horizontal camera movement. It is NOT designed for much z-axis camera movement. This mans that what you want to do will not work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 4, 2018 at 5:25:47 pm

The easiest way would be to create your 2.5d animation and then have it come to a stop. PreComp the project and then place it in a 2D comp. Use the scale to zoom in a little and add a keyframe around where the movement stops and then add another keyframe at the end with the scale at 100%. If you need to scale a lot keep in mind your 3D comp with the 2.5d animation can be a bigger composition size then 2d comp so you don't lose quality. Hope this made some sense. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

jan jansen
on Jan 5, 2018 at 8:21:50 am
Last Edited By jan jansen on Jan 5, 2018 at 10:17:36 am

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your reply.
I almost understand you.

When you say create your 2.5d animation, what do you mean by animation. Do I create the zoom from back to front or do I "zoom" with the scale?

FYI:

1:38. This is what I want to do.

M.

--- UPDATE ---

I kinda found out how to do this.
Using the Photoshop Vanishing Point Filter.
Still working on it but it looks promising.

FYI:

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 5, 2018 at 3:52:22 pm

I'm not sure I understand. Are you asking how to do what they did at 1:38 or how to do what they did but then when the move stops pulling back, have the camera continue to pull back put the image is no longer layered and is like one complete photo?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

jan jansen
on Jan 8, 2018 at 7:20:37 am

What they did from 1.38

So how to do what they did but then when the move stops pulling back, have the camera continue to pull back put the image is no longer layered and is like one complete photo?

Any idea. The second movie seems to be working but I'm a little bit struggling with the vanishing points filter.

M.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 8, 2018 at 2:48:33 pm

The camera doesn't continue to pull back very much with the move. They didn't do anything special. Once the camera stops moving backwards it then moves to the left and if it does pull back it is not very much. Are you asking how to create that parallax look?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

jan jansen
on Jan 9, 2018 at 7:38:03 am

Starting at 1.38 in the following movie and ending at 1.42 there is an effect that I would like to replicate.

The camera starts zoomed in on an image and zooms out of it. While zooming out a couple of images come across the camera.

If I do this with the parallax effect the images won't be in place but like in the movie they remain in their respective place on the image.

I really can't be any clearer that I am right now.

M.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 9, 2018 at 3:17:59 pm

Take a look at Camera Projection. Take a look at these tutorials:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_camera_projection_2/

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/submerged/

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

jan jansen
on Jan 11, 2018 at 7:58:46 am

Thank you.

That first tut might do the trick. It's actually the same thing the vanishing filter does in Photoshop except for the export.

Will try it.

M.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]