ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CC crashes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Seru
After Effects CC crashes
on Dec 7, 2017 at 8:53:26 am

Hi all,

we're having troubles with After Effects CC2017 and CC2018. Here's what happened:

- New computer with clean installation of Windows 10 Pro
- 64 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD Drive, Intel Core i7-7820X, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
- After Effects CC2017 (and other CC Software) installed
- Opened a project (really small, just some layers of PNGs, some MOVs) on a Standard User Account
- Scrubbing through the timeline causes After Effects to crash with the error message (in German):
"After Effects Fehler: Absturz bei der Verarbeitung. Zuletzt protokollierte Meldung <6356> <1> i_context.unique check failed" which means something like error during processing. Last log entry etc., followed by the standard Error Message that AE has to be shut down and the option to save the file.
- Starting AE again I get the Error <7800> <5> C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore, and it crashes right there. I'm not able to start AE anymore until I restart the computer.
- 2 or 3 times there was a bluescreen and the computer didn't respond at all

- On the Admin Account we face the same problem, but no AE error messages appear, just the Windows message that AE is not responding and has to be shut down.
Here we can start AE again, but when doing something in the Timeline it will crash at some point.

- I also created a new project with one color layer and one text layer and it still crashed.

- I tried the 2018 version, but same here, with the option to send a crash report (what I did).

- I did a complete uninstall of all Adobe products and the CC desktop app, restart, new installation, same problem

- Update of the graphics card driver didn't help either

- uninstalled the NVIDIA driver and reinstalled it without the 3D-Vision driver. First it seemed to work, I could scrub through the timeline without any problems. But after a while it crashed after hiding a layer that was the only visible one.

- apparently Photoshop is also crashing from time to time (the artist told me), so this might not be only an AE related problem

I also set up another workstation with the exact same specs, settings and software, here everything works fine.

What I didn't try yet:
- creating a new user account and check there
- install CC 2015 for testing (though it wouldn't make sense to work with it in our pipeline)

Does anyone have any ideas what could help here or what's causing the problems?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: After Effects CC crashes
on Dec 7, 2017 at 11:46:39 am

I'll bet on faulty hardware. Try to remove, clean and reinsert the GPU and the RAM. IMO theres little way a software could completely hang the machine (the blue screens), unless its associated with some hardware problem.

OR exchange the gpu and ram from one station to the other for tests. You'll may have a chance to at least pinpoint hardware or software.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Andy Seru
Re: After Effects CC crashes
on Dec 7, 2017 at 1:04:33 pm

Thanks for your advice Cassius! Unfortunately the machine is at a remote location so I can't do that at the moment, but I might consider getting there and do the tests in the near future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]