ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects World - Where are we?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Wall
After Effects World - Where are we?
on Dec 6, 2017 at 7:00:45 pm

I've not used AE very much in the past two years, so I was curious to get impressions about where things stand.

My impression is that Adobe still has yet to conclude the underlying modernization of the core engine...and that we lack full multi-processing rendering and widespread GPU acceleration. Am I wrong?

Meanwhile it seems the feature set has largely stalled...that the past couple of versions haven't added much. Am I wrong?

The most exciting thing in AE seems to be coming from third party plugin and script developers...perhaps also from Adobe's Character Animator module/app.

I'm curious to know from you all what version of AE you are using...and if you think CC2018 is ready for production use? Is Adobe committed to continue to grow After Effects?

Life is full of funny particles.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects World - Where are we? -- LOST!!!!
on Dec 6, 2017 at 7:20:06 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 6, 2017 at 11:33:08 pm

Your assessment, in my mind, is correct.
  • Adobe is adding AE features that appeal primarily to MARKETING people. Long-standing AE problems get lip service from the 12-member AE team -- they're too busy to fix them because they're working on new features for MARKETING people. It also creates endless questions in this forum about automating AE -- for example, they want to know how to set up a comp that looks at a folder of video clips and a spreadsheet, then crank out individual animations based on each chip, using info in the spreadsheet for text. With no intervention. Why? The MARKETING people want all those different animations for a cool-looking web site... and they're putting the squeeze on the AE people.
  • Adobe schedules software releases primarily reflecting the interests of MARKETING people. Never mind that Creative Cloud development people aren't ready for releases, it's all about Adobe's MARKETING Cloud releases.
  • Thus, Creative Cloud applications are rife with bugs -- insufficient development time, y'know -- and focusing on new features that appeal to MARKETING people... which may or may not work as promised.
  • Plugin developers are more interested in making enhancements to the way AE was intended to work. So the most productive & innovative things come from them.

The initial release of a new AE CC version is inevitably a train wreck. Just too many bugs. Thus, to save myself needless hours of aggravation, I never, EVER update CC Applications until the second big bug fix. By then, they stand a fighting chance of actually working as billed. Or not.

And I thank my lucky stars that I don't work at a place with marketing people who say, "Hey, you've got Adobe software -- you can do anything!"

Such a statement should be grounds for justifiable homicide, I think.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Craig Wall
on Dec 7, 2017 at 1:51:02 am

Hi Dave...Thanks for the reply! I know you've been a reasonable evaluator of AE over a decade or more. I dropped out for awhile but am pushing back into use of the program.

Are you using CC2017? 2014?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 7, 2017 at 4:33:14 pm

I use the most recent version of AE 2017 at work -- no intention of updating for LONG time -- and CS 5.5 on a legacy machine at home, which is just fine for my volunteer AE work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Dec 7, 2017 at 9:56:49 am

Sort of like this:

Return to posts index

Craig Wall
on Dec 7, 2017 at 8:21:20 pm

For about 3 years I stuck with the last non-subscription version. I despised Adobe for moving to slavescriptions.

I broke down some time back and joined the slaves. :- (

I remember some naive folks who promised Adobe would be *faster* in upgrading the program with the new model. I declared with some others that they wouldn't be motivated to push the product forward.

it's been five (?) years since they told us they would get modern multi-processing working and not only have they not finished...in some respects the work has gone backwards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]