ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tips for getting a distorted "Blur tunnel" effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anastasia Antonova
Tips for getting a distorted "Blur tunnel" effect
on Nov 13, 2017 at 8:07:55 am

Hello! I'm trying to get the look of photos 1 and 2 below in a more exaggerated way like in photo 3. I am trying to get it as exaggerated as that effect but with completely smooth transition into the normal part of the picture (not a harsh line).

I'm also having trouble blending the effect with the non-distorted part. I tried doing two layers with the non-distorted image with a strong feather, but since the image is kinda getting stretched, it doesn't align with the same unedited layer (screenshot attached - photo 4 - see the edges of the photo like where her arms are). Is there a way to apply this effect on one layer with a smooth transition in intensity of the effect so the center of the image remains undistorted or some other way to create a good gradient out of the effect? I feel this is a basic After Effects technique I just haven't been able to figure out on my own. Please let me know and thank you in advance!!
Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

--Ana

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Tips for getting a distorted "Blur tunnel" effect
on Nov 13, 2017 at 4:36:12 pm

The problem is that smoothing the transition conflicts with its concept. On the third image, the effect consists in a single row of pixel (in a circle shape, on that case) being "scalled" until you fill the rest of the composition. I mean, its a single row o pixels being scalled. How do you smooth that? you can't scale less because its still the same row being scalled... Am I being clear? :P

Smoothing will completely change its look. One would have to do this effect on different rows of pixels and perhaps play with opacity?

I'm guessing the more you'll try to smooth it, the more it will look like a reversed optics compensation effect. And not the pixel stretch.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Anastasia Antonova
on Nov 13, 2017 at 6:15:43 pm

Hi Cassius,

Thanks for your response!! Yeah, I was looking for more of a reverse optics compensation effect but only applied to the outer edges of my image (rather than distorting the entire thing). However, when I try to apply a feathered mask to it, the pixels don't align with the center of the image (see photo 4). Is there a better way to do this so I can control the effect?

--Ana

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Nov 13, 2017 at 8:29:55 pm

Something like this?

If so, I did that with the WarpRepeat plugin from Sapphire.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Anastasia Antonova
on Nov 14, 2017 at 7:15:58 pm

Ooooo, this looks like what I need! Can't figure out how to use it myself but we'll see :P So expensive though!!

--Ana

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]