ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Where to learn matchmove 3D compositing - actor on 3D set?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay Penn
Where to learn matchmove 3D compositing - actor on 3D set?
on Oct 12, 2017 at 5:04:01 am

Hey everybody,

I'm a dance videographer and locations are always a huge issue, so the dream is composite my dancer into 3D virtual scenes like this one:

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/classic-interior-3d-model-1143584

And try as I might to scour the internet, I can't find any tutorial that can teach me how to do this. When I've attempted it on my own, I keep having scale problems. I can't "glue the dancer to the floor," so to speak, or have her retain her size against the setting.

The shooting part I understand, I've actually done some green screen shooting for work, so lighting the screen evenly, lighting the dancer separately, and placing markers that establish paralax are not my problem.

My problem is, what's next? Let's say I track camera in Mocha. How do I apply that camera data to the 3D model location in a way that will match my footage?

If there are lessons out there that will teach me this specifically I would happily pay for them. I'm looking for a specific software workflow, not "general idea." I've taken compositing classes and After Effects classes and neither of them were very helpful.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Where to learn matchmove 3D compositing - actor on 3D set?
on Oct 12, 2017 at 6:03:41 pm

Perhaps this tutorial will help?

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_truck_compositing/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 12, 2017 at 7:52:57 pm

[Lindsay Penn] "My problem is, what's next? Let's say I track camera in Mocha. How do I apply that camera data to the 3D model location in a way that will match my footage?"

If I'm not mistaken, there should be an option for AE in Mocha's export dialog - from there, you should be able to paste the tracking data into an After Effects camera. You'll need a plugin like Element 3D to integrate your 2d footage with the 3D model though. Otherwise, it's probably easier to integrate your live action and GC element in a 3D program like Maya or Cinema 4D.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 12, 2017 at 8:39:47 pm

Sorry, I meant CG element...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]