ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RAM speed, ddr3 vs ddr4 ram and how much?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Paul
RAM speed, ddr3 vs ddr4 ram and how much?
on Oct 10, 2017 at 7:48:23 am

Is there any noticable benefit in using ddr4 ram instead of ddr3 type when it comes to rendering?

Ram also comes at different speeds:
is 3000MHz ram better than 2400 MHz in rendering use case?

I see a lot of people recommending lots of ram, but I think that is because of scrubbing the time line efficiently. How about just rendering? Does more RAM mean faster rendering?

I will be using ryzen 5 1600x CPU.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: RAM speed, ddr3 vs ddr4 ram and how much?
on Oct 10, 2017 at 9:14:37 am

[Jeremy Paul] "I see a lot of people recommending lots of ram, but I think that is because of scrubbing the time line efficiently. How about just rendering? Does more RAM mean faster rendering?"

Generally, yes. More RAM allows Ae to keep more layers cached during render. In a high-RAM system, Ae doesn't have to re-render unchanging or previewed layers. In a lower-RAM system, Ae has to manage those caches, which means it may to dump the contents of RAM more often. That means it has to re-read files from disk more often and re-render constant frames more often.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jeremy Paul
on Oct 10, 2017 at 6:58:04 pm

Thanks Walter!

So if I understood you correctly, if I just open a file and render it without previewing it, than I can expect close to zero benefits of using 16GB instead of 8GB. Is that correct?

What about ddr4 vs ddr3 ram types?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 11, 2017 at 9:45:36 am

That's not what I'm trying to say.

Imagine that rendering is like woodworking, and that RAM is like your workbench. If you have a big enough workbench, you can keep all your materials and tools on the workbench where you can get to them fastest. But if your workbench is too small, you'll have to store your materials and tools over on the shelves while you're building. Every time you move from one task to the next, you might have to put something away to make room to retrieve something else. You can't use the glue until you've put away the hammer.

Different projects need different workbench sizes. You might only need a small workbench for building a birdhouse with your kid, but a significantly bigger one for building new cabinets for your kitchen.

What I was trying to say before was that having more RAM means Ae doesn't have to keep putting things down and picking them back up later while rendering. RAM for Ae is room to work. There comes a point of diminishing return where more RAM will not mean more render speed, and it depends on the kind of work you do. But note that 8 GB is the minimum system requirement for Ae; Adobe recommendeds at least 16 GB.

I'm sorry, I don't know what impact the memory frequency has on Ae.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]