ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Post production 4k workflow for 23.98 footage.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gaurav Sharma
Post production 4k workflow for 23.98 footage.
on Sep 13, 2017 at 11:04:30 am

Hi all,
I have a feature film shot on Sony A7S. It's 4k footage on 23.98 fps. I have a problem here if I downscale on 1920 for edit on 24 fps for fcp 7 because I have to upload it on 24 fps. Than it can be a problem when I reconfirm this footage in davinci resolve 12.5 with 4k 23.98 raw clips. Please give me a solution for this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Post production 4k workflow for 23.98 footage.
on Sep 13, 2017 at 3:08:32 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 13, 2017 at 3:12:15 pm

Do all of your work at 23.976 frames per second, aka 23.98. DO NOT assign a frame rate of 23.98 anyplace! It is just a nickname for the actual frame, 23.976. Work at 23.976!

When you are ready to deliver the finished project, then -- and ONLY then -- do the frame rate conversion to 24. The duration of your finished project will be a bit shorter -- the result of converting from a slightly slower frame rate to a slightly faster frame rate.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gaurav Sharma
on Sep 13, 2017 at 4:10:40 pm

Thanks Dave for responding.
But here is main problem with your workflow is audio. Because my audio dubbing and whole Dolby mix tracks will not match after 24 frame video convert. My videos final dpx will be 24 fps and my previous Dolby mixdown will be on 23.98. first I have to edit it than send it to audio dubbing and background stuff. Color grading will take place after that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2017 at 5:26:28 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 13, 2017 at 6:10:22 pm

When I say, "Do all of your work at 23.976 frames per second", that is precisely what I mean.

Do the ENTIRE project at 23.976. Do not mix frame rates anywhere in the project. Speak to the audio people so that they understand this. They are NOT to work at 24. They are to work at 23.976. Confirm this with them. Run tests if you must to ensure synchronization between picture and sound. You leave yourself open to many problems without a consistent frame rate.

Once you say, "This project is complete, it's time for delivery", this is the point at which you do the frame rate conversion to 24. You will have only two files to concern you: audio and video.

You didn't say how audio was recorded. I assume that if the audio files' metadata contain frame rate information -- which they possibly could -- it is 23.976.

Alternatively, you could do a frame rate conversion -- not conforming frame rates, but actually CONVERTING frame rates -- to 24fps before editing begins. Every piece of footage you shoot for this project. But I would doubt you want to do that.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Gaurav Sharma
on Sep 13, 2017 at 7:20:22 pm

Thanks Dave I will surely use your advice.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 14, 2017 at 3:35:18 am

Remember this: audio people may not know the difference between 23.98 and 23.976. You must make it clear that they understand that 23.98 is in truth 23.976. It will not hurt anything to confirm thisknowledge and it may save you many headaches.

For your test, I recommend a test of a five-minute portion with alot of different audio tracks. This will help you identify any problems which you can solve before the audio is complete.

Making things easier with tests is a good thing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]