ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d Slideshows in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ay Staum
3d Slideshows in After Effects
on Sep 12, 2017 at 4:25:36 pm

I have seen many 3d slideshows in use in dinner videos for organizations, promo videos, and the like.
Something like:

My question is, is there any way to make "placeholders" for those images, and populate those placeholders with (can be sequentially numbered) pictures from a folder? Most tutorials I have seen involve editing a comp for each of the placeholders...

I am using AE CC 2017 on Windows 10

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: 3d Slideshows in After Effects
on Sep 12, 2017 at 5:03:07 pm

[Ay Staum] "Most tutorials I have seen involve editing a comp for each of the placeholders..."

1- because its easier this way... seldom you'll want to just place a picture into something and not scale or frame it better. most pictures won't be the same resolution so why would you automate this process if you'll need to go into each comp and adjust stuff?

But maybe you can physicaly replace image files while keeping the same file/naming structure and it will work (not sure AE checks for any other data while opening a project). Or you could write a script that imports and place things appropriately, but that requires time and knowledge.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Avrohom Staum
on Sep 12, 2017 at 6:53:03 pm

Does anyone have any idea of an easy(er than individually animating each photo) to make such a slideshow? (The one linked in the 1st post)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 12, 2017 at 10:25:32 pm

The way that I would approach this is to create one comp "ALL PICTURES" at the target resolution of the template's "INSERT PHOTOS HERE" comps.

Then, within each "INSERT PHOTO HERE" comp, place the "ALL PICTURES" comp in as the source and do a freeze frame with time remapping for whichever frame it should be. In other words, "INSERT PHOTO HERE 01" would get frame 0 of "ALL PICTURES" and "INSERT PHOTO HERE 99" would get frame 98 of "ALL PICTURES".

To populate all the photos after that, just import your folder of images as an image sequence and place it in ALL PICTURES. (Alternately, import them individually, set their durations all to one frame, then Sequence Layers with no overlap.)

This will take a little while to set up, but you can do a lot of copy-pasting. It will be very fast to populate when you are finished.

Depending on how the INSERT PHOTO HERE comps are named, you might be able to drive the time-remapping with an expression; I'd have to see a screenshot of the organization of the project to suggest what that expression would be.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Sep 13, 2017 at 8:26:38 pm

[Walter Soyka] "This will take a little while to set up, but you can do a lot of copy-pasting. It will be very fast to populate when you are finished."

And after all that is done you send out the preview and the client goes like "maybe we should use videos instead of photos".

Hahaha, there is never "one project to rule them all". But it's a nice solution nonetheless.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 13, 2017 at 8:57:05 pm

[Cassius Marques] "And after all that is done you send out the preview and the client goes like "maybe we should use videos instead of photos". Hahaha, there is never "one project to rule them all". But it's a nice solution nonetheless."

That never happens!

But this sounds like a request for a script that can populate a sequential set of footage items into a sequential set of comps... is that worth writing?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Avrohom Staum
on Sep 14, 2017 at 1:51:18 am

It does seem like something worth writing!
How would I go about doing that?
Also, newbie question: what are some good resources for learning how to write scripts in AE? I know basic programming concepts, Python, C++, and a bit of JavaScript, which I know AE script is based on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]