ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Advice needed for Mocha AE (workflow)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Whiteman
Advice needed for Mocha AE (workflow)
on Sep 11, 2017 at 3:42:42 pm

Hello, fellow video manipulators. I am almost completely new to mocha, I understand how it works on a basic level.
I am trying to track a screen in mocha AE. Basically, I just need advice (workflow) saying how would you do it.
My way is this: Make shapes that will move in the same plane as the screen does.
Adjust the scale and perspective.
Track a rough exclusion mask around the thumb.
Track: Large motion, 80% of pixels used, AutoChannel.

Let it track the whole clip or the part that I am interested in. (this is where I get track drift)
Not sure how should I fix the drift. Should I do manual track and fix every single frame? Should I do it some other way because I don't know any other ways.
Happy to hear any and all suggestions, thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: Advice needed for Mocha AE (workflow)
on Sep 12, 2017 at 2:58:29 am

A bit hard to answer some things from just a still. I need to ask though if you've watched any of the tutorials at http://www.imagineersystems.com? There are many there on this very task.

One thing that is confusing: I see a number of splines but only two layers.

A vital habit to develop with Mocha is to meaningfully name splines, masks, etc. Also, the order of layers is important to understand with Mocha. Highest layer in the stack is considered to be the "closest to the camera". That determines if something is being tracked or masked. Several of those tuts will go into detail.

Return to posts index

Greg Whiteman
on Sep 12, 2017 at 1:14:25 pm

Thanks for replying.
The top layer is the finger and it is not being tracked, it's excluded. The bottom layer is the phone which has the two rectangular splines to track from. It made sense to put them in the same layer because they are moving in the same plane that the phone screen is.
Oh, and yes, I will check out the tutorials on imagineer. Thanks for that.
If somebody has any more info I am providing the footage.
11676_estacio1414.mp4.zip

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Sep 21, 2017 at 4:14:13 pm

For track drift, I would recommend first, retraction with higher % of pixels analyzed and make sure that you are only tracking areas that are moving on the same plane. Things like reflections and foreground occlusions can throw off a planar track.

If you have a decent track and want to correct some drift, this is exactly what the AdjustTrack module is designed for:
https://borisfx.com/videos/?tags=feature:AdjustTrack%20Module&search=

Ross Shain
Boris FX / Imagineer Systems
https://borisfx.com/products/mocha/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]