ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need to track/replace greenscreen card in shot. Any suggestions/tips appreciated.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Bradford
Need to track/replace greenscreen card in shot. Any suggestions/tips appreciated.
on Sep 6, 2017 at 8:34:16 pm

Hey all,

Am trying to do the ol' Bob Dylan - Subterranean Homesick Blues card trick. In other words, am trying to track some cards being set down so I can replace them and add animation on to them.

Am having a very difficult time getting a clean track of the card using AE and/or Mocha AE.

Am sure I set it up all wrong. That is a given. Was a last minute change on set to use these cards. Did my best to set myself up for success in post. Not so much!

Anyway, can anyone offer any suggestions/tips on the best way to track these cards so i can replace them? I think the motion blur on the card is making it nearly impossible. Mocha loses the markers every single time. I tried to roto out the card and then track it but am having the same issue.

ANY help would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks so much for taking a look.

Link to shot below:

https://f1.creativecow.net/11658/7721083?uploaded=file

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Need to track/replace greenscreen card in shot. Any suggestions/tips appreciated.
on Sep 7, 2017 at 2:46:45 pm

I'm a bit surprised that Mocha isn't helping -- it's a planar rather than a point tracker. The sticking point I see is the cards themselves. They bend. Perhaps that's what's giving Mocha fits. It probably doesn't help that they're all the same color -- it's tough to find edges.

All that said, I'd give Mocha another shot. If there's no joy -- and reshooting is out of the question -- you may have to resort to rotoscoping. Ugh.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Colin J Smith
Re: Need to track/replace greenscreen card in shot. Any suggestions/tips appreciated.
on Sep 9, 2017 at 9:34:49 am

The tracking markers don't seem too helpfully positioned, it looks like a by hand track job near the end sections of card removal. The fact all the cards are green isn't too much of a problem, your masking will just have to be on point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]