After Effects rendering VERY slow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Harvey
After Effects rendering VERY slow
on Aug 21, 2017 at 5:34:57 am

Hello,
Long time lurker, first time posting!

When I export my video, the rendering starts out fine at a reasonable pace.
But near the end, it goes at a crawling pace, going as slow as 1 frame every 2-3 mins.

Using AE CS6. Video is 12 minutes in length, subject files created from Illustrator then imported into AE. (Video render is at the 4 hour mark. Does it usually take this long to render out a 12 min video?). There is a bunch of compositions with heavy 'continuous rasterization' turned on. Could this be a factor?
Very minimal effects added, though the animator extension Duik is used throughout.

Computer specs are: iMac 27", 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 12 GB Memory, ATI Radeon HD Graphics.
Video will be uploaded to YouTube/Vimeo.

Is there anything I could do to speed up the rendering process/ best settings to export for uploading to this media?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects rendering VERY slow
on Aug 21, 2017 at 6:00:06 pm

From your description, it could very well be a normal render time. You're doing quite a lot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Remus Hosu
on Aug 21, 2017 at 7:54:05 pm

What export format are you using? Maybe try to render it out as a PNG sequence or a JPEG sequence and see if that helps out in any way. At least if the render breaks you don't have to start all over again from the beginning.

http://bluefx.net

Return to posts index

Anthony Harvey
on Aug 21, 2017 at 8:32:41 pm

Export settings are as follows:
Render setting - Best Settings, Frame Rate 29.97
Output Module - Quicktime, RGB etc, Format is H.264, Audio is 48000Hz

Last time it was moments away from being complete (after 4 hours..) and then stopped, saying there was an output module incompatible with the files (or something along those lines). I went to output modules in the templates, and deleted the missing module (mutli-machine).

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 23, 2017 at 12:27:39 pm

Output from AE in an uncompressed format first - then encode in another peice of software. I can't say I can recommend Jpg as Remus suggested because JPG is a compressed format and when you go to compress to H264 you are already a step down on the beginning quality.

Return to posts index

Sam Mattson
on Jun 12, 2018 at 8:25:16 pm

I know I'm a little late to the game on this one, but if you're aware something is going to take a long time to render, always render to frames. That way if it crashes, you can fix the problem and start the render again where it left off. Then media encode from the frames. You'll save yourself a ton of time doing it this way.
As for what was causing your render to take so long, were you trimming your layers? AE will spend the time rendering a layer even if it's covered up or off stage. If you hadn't trimmed anything through your entire comp it's now rendering everything through your whole timeline.
Other things can cause slow render times also (particles, lots of copies of something, large file sizes, using PDFS, etc). The best thing to do is to attempt to scrub your timeline in that area until your output slows down, then stop in that area and start turning off layers or effects until you find the culprit. Then perhaps you can create a proxy, downres, or find another way of creating the effect...or just realize that part is going to take a while and render it overnight or something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]