ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need advice on creating blurred country borders

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vlajko Kokorajko
Need advice on creating blurred country borders
on Aug 9, 2017 at 1:46:19 pm

I'm doing an animated history video in After Effects and I'd like the country borders to look like in the picture (drawn in Photoshop, using various blurred brush sizes). Can that be done in After Effects? I've tried various Blur effects but none produces a similar look. Note that I'll be animating the borders, so I can't import the layer from Photoshop.

Kind thanks in advance,
Vlajko

Return to posts index

Liran Tabib
Re: Need advice on creating blurred country borders
on Aug 9, 2017 at 2:53:56 pm

Hi Vlajko
You can recreate this blur by creating a masked solid, duplicating the mask and changing the bottom mask's mode to subtract and playing with it's expansion and feather properties as seen in the attached photo.

Best Regards

Liran Tabib
http://www.vdodna.com

Return to posts index

Vlajko Kokorajko
on Aug 10, 2017 at 7:30:06 am

Wow this is exactly what I needed. Thank you kindly good sir. Easy, quick and efficient method!!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 9, 2017 at 8:38:25 pm

there's also layer>layer styles>inner glow. inner glow (and the other layer styles) are available in both PS and AE.

just create or import the shape of the country, then apply the layer style. in this case, you'll likely want to set the default blending mode from 'screen' to 'normal' and then in the layer styles>blending options>advanced blending set the fill opacity to 0%. then set the other inner glow settings as needed.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Vlajko Kokorajko
on Aug 10, 2017 at 10:53:17 am

Tried this too just now. An equally good solution and simple solution. Many thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]