ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Import 12fps precomp into 24fps precomp while retaining 12fps style

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kory Fenton
Import 12fps precomp into 24fps precomp while retaining 12fps style
on Aug 3, 2017 at 3:46:13 am

I have a series of animations I'm creating for a client at 12fps in AE. The client likes the jittery feel at that frame rate. After the animation, the client wants to fade to their logo bumper... and that bumper animation is at 24fps. I can't bring the bumper into the 12fps comp because it doesn't look right. Ideally, I would like to create a new 24fps composition that I can use to combine the 12fps precomp and the 24fps bumper. However, when I throw the 12fps precomp into the new 24fps comp, it smooths out my 12fps to look like it's at 24fps. The way I've been able to get around this is render the 12fps precomp first, and then throw it into the 24fps comp so that it can't change the look.

So the question—is there any way to put a 12fps precomp into a 24fps comp without it changing the look of my 12fps animation?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Import 12fps precomp into 24fps precomp while retaining 12fps style
on Aug 3, 2017 at 5:20:38 am

In the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog box (Composition > Composition Settings), choose Preserve Frame Rate When Nested

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/precomposing-nesting-pre-render...

Return to posts index

Kory Fenton
on Aug 3, 2017 at 5:45:38 am

You just saved me SO much time! I was dreading doing all of the other versions with my hack method. Thanks Chris!

Return to posts index

charlie broekalnder
on Apr 6, 2019 at 4:47:40 pm

Hi there,
I'm having a similar issue but in my case, the "preserve frame rate when nested" option isn't working the way I understand that it should.

I usually make animated Explainer videos in 24fps. I do however make all my "characters" 12fps for that traditional animation look. That workflow is pretty easy as I plan it in advance, so I make all my "character" comps 12fps and deselect the "collapse transformation\continuously rasterize" toggle. It works great, no problem there.

However, for this current project, I have lots of objects within my different comps that aren't characters, but act as such, therefore I'd like all of my comps to act as 12fps for that traditional animation look, but within my main comp where I have my camera, which plays at 24fps to have smooth cam movement.

I absolutely need those comps (which are all at 12fps in their respective settings) to have the "collapse transformation\continuously rasterize" toggle ON. They all have the "preserve frame rate when nested" and "preserve resolution when nested" ON. But I'm currently seeing them play at the normal 24fps within my main comp though. Does this workaround not actually work the way I think it's supposed to? Or is it just not possible to play 12fps comps within a main 24fps comp if they have the "collapse transformation\continuously rasterize" toggle on?

I appreciate any help!
And as I said, this could probably have been easier if I had planned this beforehand and designed my comps to look nice without the "collapse transformation\continuously rasterize" toggle on, but now, it is not possible, as their positions and crispiness are affected.

Thank you!

Charlie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]