ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

MXF Codec Question and Workflow Recommendation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Winterton
MXF Codec Question and Workflow Recommendation
on Jun 14, 2017 at 10:05:04 pm

A client has asked me to import a specific file format, XF-AVC intra 10 bit 4:2:2 @3840x2160, add VFX, and return the same format back to them.

I use After Effects (2017) PC and AME (2017) PC and I can't find the specific codec to do as requested.

I'd like to know what a more experienced person would do, as I believe that the desired codec is not yet available for AAE or AME for PC.

Ultimately the client is worried about altered color space if I deliver a different format and/or bit rate. Is there a method to follow to alleviate the problem.
What would you do?

Thank you for reading and replying.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: MXF Codec Question and Workflow Recommendation
on Jun 14, 2017 at 10:10:27 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 15, 2017 at 12:01:40 am

Run a test. Take one of the client's clips -- a short one -- and do SOMETHING with it in AE. Render it out as you normally would and return it to the client along with the original clip you used. Let the client do the comparison.

AVC Intra's an acquisition codec. It's not a delivery codec. Hence the test for an acceptable alternate.
And it's not a great editing codec, either.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jun 15, 2017 at 4:10:01 am

As far as I know that specific format/codec is for in-camera recording only. You can read it but you can't export in the same format.

Return to posts index

Paul Winterton
on Jun 15, 2017 at 4:59:33 pm

Thank you for the insight.

The background is: the client is a Mac-based production facility and previously they have sent me ProRes 422 files, but because my suite is PC-based I can't return ProRes files. AFAIK the ProRes export codec is (still) not available for PC. I can read, but I can't write ProRes files.

I either encode MOV with the Animation codec, or use MP4 with a very high bitrate to deliver files back to the client. There is a color shift in both formats.

The client is trying to find a way that they can deliver a format that won't be degraded or changed and so that they could do (final) color grading consistently throughout their show. Hence, they were asking if I could accept and return the MXF camera format.

I'm open to any suggestions that would solve this issue.

Thanks again for reading and replying.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 15, 2017 at 5:16:01 pm

You don't need the ability to render in ProRes 422.

I recommend making Quicktime movies in JPEG 2000, PNG or Animation codecs. All three support Alpha Channels. Photo JPEG is good, but no alpha. They're all available in quicktime for Windows.

It's also why I recommend making a test clip -- probably 4 of them, in all 4 codecsw mentioned above.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Winterton
on Jul 1, 2017 at 3:22:12 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. I will report back.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]