ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mocha track and replace screen of different aspect ratio than the comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Magnus
Mocha track and replace screen of different aspect ratio than the comp
on Jun 14, 2017 at 3:16:55 pm

So I'm struggling with a screen track and replace. I've got the track done on a 4:3 ATM screen in Mocha. Using that corner pin data on a comp sized solid though, means the 16:9 solid is skewed and squeezed down into the wrong aspect ratio. How do you accommodate for that? Or what am I doing wrong? I tried using a 4:3 solid to begin with but the corner pin still started from the comp corners, and skewed it just the same.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Mocha track and replace screen of different aspect ratio than the comp
on Jun 14, 2017 at 5:15:12 pm

Easy fix: don't use 16x9. You have to use 4x3. You have to think in terms of the aspect ratio of the screen you're replacing. Do that, and life is good.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Martin Brennand
Re: Mocha track and replace screen of different aspect ratio than the comp
on Jun 15, 2017 at 12:25:41 am

If you want it to fit exactly to a certain look, the better way to do it is corner pin your insert first to the screen, and then apply an Aligned Surface track export instead:
  • Apply a manual corner pin to your insert layer in After Effects and place it in the desired position for any frame.
  • On this frame, Precompose the layer and make sure all attributes are inside it.
  • You will now have a precomposed layer that is the same dimensions as the tracked footage.
  • In mocha, go to the same frame in the footage you applied the corner pin to in After Effects and select the track.
  • On this frame, turn on your surface and click “Align Surface” in the Layer Properties panel.
  • You will see the surface fit to the full dimensions of the footage.
  • Export this newly aligned track to After Effects corner pin.
  • Back in After Effects, select the precomposed layer and paste the data.

Martin Brennand | Product Manager | mocha - Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]