ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Layers off by a fraction of a frame

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Neves
Layers off by a fraction of a frame
on Jun 14, 2017 at 2:32:29 pm

I'm in a project that originated in Premiere with a lot of footage layers, working in 29.97 DF across all my comps. AE 2015.3 (13.8.1.38), OS X 10.10.5.

Things started out fine, but I after precomposing a large group of layers together, I'm seeing the precomp and a number of layers within it are both off by a fraction of a frame. That is, I can zoom in right down to frame level, but I'll see the in point of a layer inside or outside the frame by just a fraction. AE doesn't display the affected layers in the viewer until the next whole frame.

The precomp these layers in is ahead (in the main comp) by the same fraction these layers are behind. Additionally, some time after I precomped I noticed AE had changed the start timecode for the comp to -0;00;00;01. I thought that was weird and changed it back to 0. Maybe that has something to do that.

I can't find a way to slide the layers back to where I want to start -- maybe AE is trying to protect from sync issues? But I'd like to get everything back onto real frames so I don't mess up my editing. I have an earlier version that doesn't have this problem, but I'd lose a good bit of work going back to it.

Anyone run into this before?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Layers off by a fraction of a frame
on Jun 14, 2017 at 2:39:12 pm

Are you sure that every comp is the same framerate of 29.97? Maybe something in there is 23.976, or 25, etc.

You can put the current time indicator on the frame where you want the layers to be begin, select the layers that have shifted fractionally, and press the open-square-bracket key ('[') to align them in time again.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Philip Neves
Re: Layers off by a fraction of a frame
on Jun 14, 2017 at 2:46:20 pm

Some of my precomps are 29.97 NDF. Not sure how that happened.

The bracket shortcut seems to work. (I'm kicking myself for not thinking to try that.)

I guess now I just need to carefully snap everything back to the closest frame.

Thanks for your help, Walter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]